MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Pan Handle / Western Montana Elk Hunt

Rhinoron247

I am looking to plan a 2008 Rifle Deer / Elk Pack-in Hunt trip. I am looking for someone local who might have the scoop on where to go but can't get there.

I have the Pack stock, Camp and extra riding horses. If you know that great place in the Wilderness and want to go let me know? I would prefer to access from I-90 or North as we live in Washington.

We would prefer Northern Idaho or Northwest Montana, but I am open to suggestions.

We are very experience horsemen and spend extensive time in the Wilderness in Washington.

Wimps need not apply. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SdzIKX06ks

I spent a little bit of time this fall in the mountains around Couer d' Alene and up towards the montana line. It struck me as massively big country that was pretty much just up and down and thick seemingly even aged stands of big timber. Just seemed to really lack much for openings or anything flat in the areas I was looking over. Of all the elk hunters I talked to in 3 weeks I saw one dead elk, a small spike. There were elk in the area, people were seeing them most seemed to lack the drive to really get after them. Horses and backcountry experience would definitely improve your chances over lots of guys in the country. Deer should give you a decent mix of both whitetails and muleys. I think the St. Joe drainage may be better than the CDA river drainage just from talking with people.

Check out the areas around Murray... I lived in Wallace for a couple summers, spent quite a bit of time in the mountians fishing and what not, and that area seemed like one of the better places that would hold elk. There was quite a bit of loging going on over there and consequently lots of clear cuts. This was 8-9 years ago though... take that for what its worth.

I would agree, not many local 'go getters'.

Its also very thick and up and down with few flats.

If you go early take a fly rod, every stream has trout in it, and usually lots of them. The fishing around Murray is about the best I've ever found. Some really nice 'bows are caught out of that river.

Did you ever dine at the Sprag Pole in Murray, Bambi? Thick and steep country, not really suited to horse hunting. Most of my Idaho Elk hunting was done south of Avery. Also steep and thick country, fairly roaded and logged. Not really suited for horse hunting, either.

Only stopped in at the store for refreshments, is it one in the same? I don't remember there being much else there, but I can't remember its been a while ago. I really enjoyed the time I spent in that part of ID, my sister still lives in Osburn, my brother in law is an engineer at the Lucky Friday in Mullen.

I spent quite a bit of time on the North fork of the St. Joe too. The drive from Wallace to Avery over the mountains is one of the prettiest drives around there. There are some huge old burned out tree's in the river that are well over 12' in diameter. have a picture or two around, I'll see if I can dig one up.

I'd move there tomorrow if I could. Pretty easy to get away from the people, and get lost. Fishing is phenominal, and the lead and heavy metals in the water is an added bonus.

I would agree, not much of an area for horses, but there are a few trail heads around. That whole area from the Canadian border down to the interstate is pretty roaded. There are some big whitetails around in that country, and a few elk though.

Back in the day the Sprag Pole was the whore house. Now its a restaurant. We went over the Thompson Pass a few times to eat there. Not very good but nothing in T. Falls was any better. Nice drive anyway. The alder brush grows pretty quick in that country and doesn't take long for the logging roads to become choked with it. Hard enough to get around on foot, let alone horses. But the elk don't seem to mind crawling into it.

You could just head for Cabinet Wilderness, or the Yaak. Lots of old logging roads on the Kootenai and Flathead Forests, but most are gated, you can ride for miles behind the gates if the alder hasn't closed it all up again. It isn't hard to get away from people up around here. Elk are not in huge herds by any means, but there are some toads in that country, not around Eureka MT though, 250-270 inch 6x6 is a big bull.

Back in the day the Sprag Pole was the whore house. We went over the Thompson Pass a few times to eat there.

Dude, you're friggin nasty!

Thanks for the tips

Hey all, thanks for the in site to the local areas. Keep them coming. The horses are a means of transporting me, meat and the rest of the required creature comforts. Once into an area ground pounding on foot is expected.

So does anyone have the scoop on the BM Wilderness. I may even consider going that far for the right reasons?

Thanks for the tips

What would be the best way to access the St. Joe Drainage?

I have been flying around that area on Google Earth but who knows how old those photo's are. Do you know if the FS maintains trails in that area? Any idea what outfitters might work that area?

I know it's a further drive but I think you should look at SE Idaho. More open country and more elk, probably more hunters as well, but something to think about. You might want to call Idaho Fish & Game and see if they can help you with ideas on horse friendly areas with lots of elk. I think the SW region would be worth looking at as well. I think I'd stick with Idaho. Montana's a little too proud of their elk tags, in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not afraid to haul. I hauled my horses to Steam Boat Springs 2 years ago. Was to long of a haul for me and the horses so I am trying to limit my trip to 8 hrs drive.

Ron,

Best way to access the St. Joe is get to St. Maries Idaho, and follow the river up. Road is paved from St Maries to Avery and parts above are paved as well. It's been 10 years since I've been there so things could have changed. Best to ask the forest service in the area what trails are maintained, or not. Due to budget cuts, they are doing less and less of that each year. Don't think outfitters will be much of an issue in that area. There was a bad winter die off in that area in 96/97 and I can't say for sure if it's recovered, or whether or not the pooches are having an impact on the game populations. Contact the Idaho F&G for info on that.

BM wilderness is a beautiful place, one of the things I don't like about it is that early rifle season in the backcountry, bugle'em and shoot'em. I hate that, personally. The outfitters and guides have things chased all over heck, but that herd is quite strong right now, throughout the south fork and middle fork(Great Bear). I say that, not knowing how things have been exactly this winter, January loaded up that country with snow really bad, worst since '96-'97, so I am anxious to find out how they made out. March will be the telltale for sure I guess. The wolves may really be cleaning house right now running on that deep snow. That alderbrush some were talking about really serves the elk well as far as predators, A 120 pound wolf can't blow through that alder like an 800 pound elk running along side of it here, like they can in the more open country in other places. Really makes it tough on those wolves. So the herds here have been doing great, in the face of the wolf pop growing.

SE Idaho will have a ton more hunting competition. It is unreal in some areas, a joke really. Not sure there are really that many more elk either, just more publicity a few years back, thus the high level of hunters.

BHR, I'm not sure the St. Joe had the same winter kill results some other areas had in the winters between 95-97. I know from talking to people hunting there they didn't notice big wolf concerns until the last couple years.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back