Caribou Gear

Idaho 2018 Spot and stalk results and question for 2019

NV_ARCH3R

Just got back from Idaho on a spot and stalk bear hunt. Brought home a red bear, not overly big but the only bear we saw. Photo is the bear I got. I did find what I think would be a good bait location. Thought I might try that next spring. Anybody have variations for bait barrels, other than the standard 55 gal drum with a hole in the side? I would probably just set it out on arrival, and take it out when leaving, about 5-6 days. Maybe spot and stalk mornings till afternoon, then sit the bait in the evenings. My first thought is a 30 gal drum set up like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnQflneLY38

Any suggestions? Maybe even just put the bait on the ground and cover it with logs??

M4H01153(1).jpg

I used bait this season in Idaho and I put it into a hollow rotting stump. I had a bear hit on it and he bedded down at the sight of the bait stump. The bear bedding down and ate all of the dirt and half of the stump trying to eat all of the bait I used. Unfortunately, work has gotten in the way and I have not been able to get enough days in the field to get this bear. Maybe next year.

Just got a bear in Idaho yesterday over bait. I used three 10 gallon trash cans with lids and cut a small hole in the bottom. Used ratchet straps to hold down to a tree. Put cameras on all three cans. The smaller cans with handles allow you to transport easy and move if a bear doesn't come in. Cameras allow you to see bears (sow with cubs), size and time they hit the bait. I used a sweet feed pellets that contained molasses, bear magnet from Cabelas, and put logs around can that only a bear could move (birds will feed heavily). Also, pours molasses from a gallon jug over the pellets. This combo worked great, as long as you can check daily or every other day. Use a 5 gallon bucket to rebait, and refresh the bait site with scent. Might want to go with a larger can, say 15 gallon. Also, hung a scent wick at each bait. Those 55 gal drums are too heavy for solo. Here's a pic of the bear I got, not all that big, just finished making bear burger!

Bear 7.jpg

Bear 1.jpg

Bear 4.jpg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back