Yeti GOBOX Collection

ID- Unit 32 Bear

grizzly_

After 10 years of applying, I finally pulled an Idaho 32 Spring Bear tag. I've heard to hunt around Cascade about the first week of May. The area is 400 miles from my house.

Can somebody who knows the area and the weather tell me if I am better to pull my trailer or to get a motel room? My wife will not tent-camp, and believe it or not I like having her come on hunts with me.

Thanks a ton.

Grizzly

Never hunted that unit but have buddies that have. They always just went the motel route. I too like to take my wife when possible. Good luck!

Last edited:
Congrats on the tag, you'll have a fun hunt. Seems like the third week in April is when they start getting active. Before that lots of areas up high are still snowed in. Don't forget your tick removal tools :) A trailer will allow you to have more options on where you hunt.

Congrats on drawing the tag. I had the sister tag in 22 last spring. For sure wait until May if you are driving that far. Like idfishnhunt said, access can be tough early on.

I killed my bear at the end of the season, had to wait until then to get into that drainage. Some big old bruisers on these controlled hunts. Here's the one I found with my dad showing his noggin off. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

2012_Bear Dad.jpg

Here is my daughter with my 32 bear from last spring. Get yourself psyched, your in for a great hunt and there are a lot of big bears up there. I saw a huge boar up there last fall while deer hunting, easily a 6 footer.

IMG_1695_zpscab9542f.jpg

Good looking bears. I was wondering if taking a mountain bike would work. Is that a good way to get up some closed logging roads?

Thanks for the guidance.

Had the tag a couple times, know of handful that drew this year including two really close friends. It's one of my favorite hunts!! I'll be up their glassing for bears in May. Here's a last day chocolate from 2011.

Bear 2011.JPG

Great looking bear Buck Fever. Maybe I'll see you up there.

Looks like some good color-phase bears in that area. I think I'll pull the trailer and spend some time looking around. I just wish I could get a wolf tag for the same time. I heard there's a bunch of them up there.

I'll probably take the wheeler, mountain bike, and some good boots and plan on checking out some of the old logging cuts... that's what I'm hearing to do anyway.

Thanks ya'll for the pictures. Get's the blood pumping. If I can get a bear, I'll post it up for you. Thanks again.

One more question. Any idea if Sage Hen Reservoir will be open for trailer-camping by the first week of May?

It looks like that is a good place to camp. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

idnative1948, thanks a ton. I hadn't found that link. I found the page to book reservations, but those don't start until May 17th so I was a little worried they wouldn't open until then.

They will probably update it as it gets closer.

I'll be in touch as it gets closer. I appreciate the help.

Grey

I will find you a number to call. The FS may start charging before the contractor takes over those duties. I know they still charge us during hunting season up there in the fall after the contractor has pulled out. And full rate at that:confused:

idnative1948, thanks a ton. I hadn't found that link. I found the page to book reservations, but those don't start until May 17th so I was a little worried they wouldn't open until then.

They will probably update it as it gets closer.

I'll be in touch as it gets closer. I appreciate the help.

Grey

I'll call the local Forest Service office when it gets a little closer and make sure the roads are open. Hopefully I'll post a pic on here of a big boar in a couple months. Thanks again for your help.

How's the snow looking in Unit 32? Will I be able to find bears moving by the 15th or should I wait until the end of April?

Today the spring bear draw results came out and apparently I drew the 32 bear tag! Any advise is greatly appreciated. In the areas I have recently hunted, I am no bear magnet and have not seen many. I have a few on trail camera (not from this area), but have not spotted them while deer / elk hunting. Just curious if this is a tag where you see numbers or take the first opportunity? Hope y'all did well with the draw, if not do great during the spring season!

We got a big bear up there in 2013 but went back a year or two ago and it was all burned and we couldn't find a thing. Plus, it's split into two units this year. I'm not sure how it will be.

I've still been trying to find an OTC area in Idaho but haven't seen a bear since then. I'm obviously not very good at it 😂

DSC_0251 (1).JPG

We got a big bear up there in 2013 but went back a year or two ago and it was all burned and we couldn't find a thing. Plus, it's split into two units this year. I'm not sure how it will be.

I've still been trying to find an OTC area in Idaho but haven't seen a bear since then. I'm obviously not very good at it 😂

I remember this hunt recap! That bear was a monster. You should post up the link to it Grizzly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back