Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

I think it’ll work

EastTNHunter

Now if I can just get it to repeat…

Finally got to get out to the range and shoot today with my Savage 116 with the new Criterion .270Win barrel installed.

Did some plinking a little while back with loads from another rifle (had to adjust seating depth) just to get some shots down the tube and to break it in. Then I did a ladder over the chrono in the backyard and I picked two different charge weights to try out with the 130gr NBTs (will switch over to NABs for hunting).

The 54gr load didn’t do too well, but the 55.5gr load is showing promise. Gotta keep working on it, new brass for now, seating depth, etc, but not bad for 200yd.

Attachments

• F9C2A625-A9B8-4380-B21E-A5C7A09C98E6.jpeg
    F9C2A625-A9B8-4380-B21E-A5C7A09C98E6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • DEDFE1A0-5BB1-4E91-8EF8-D5DC541189D4.jpeg
    DEDFE1A0-5BB1-4E91-8EF8-D5DC541189D4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
What does criterion say for a break in?

How long was your wait period?

What does criterion say for a break in?

How long was your wait period?
Kinda generic. They say that there are lots of ways, but their recommendation is to start with single shot then clean, five shots then clean, then ten shots then clean… I’m past that, but know that most barrels take 50-100 shots to really show their colors. I’m in that range now.

Truthfully, I like to shoot, and I had a bunch of loads from a rifle that I gave to my daughter that would never get used otherwise (she doesn’t like recoil, so she’s using some book starting loads that are still very effective), so I’m enjoying just shooting them. They are all 140gr, and shoot around MOA or better. I’d be comfortable hunting with them until they are gone, but would prefer the trigger time with components being so tight right now.

These groups were shot pretty quickly since I was limited on range time. I’m going to try to go back next weekend with some more loaded up to see if this is repeatable, and will likely try a few tenths of a grain to either side, as well as a couple of seating depth changes to see how it affects group size. I’m happy if this is as good as it gets, but I like to tinker (although my time is limited), and I want it to be the best that it can be.

How long was the wait period to get the barrel from criterion?

I was told 20-22 weeks last December

How long was the wait period to get the barrel from criterion?

I was told 20-22 weeks last December
I bought mine from northland. They had the sporter weight 24” 270 Win in stock, but I had it cerakoted, so it took about 10 business days. I really wanted the heavy sporter weight, but didn’t want to wait the 20+ weeks.

I bought mine from northland. They had the sporter weight 24” 270 Win in stock, but I had it cerakoted, so it took about 10 business days. I really wanted the heavy sporter weight, but didn’t want to wait the 20+ weeks.

I got mine from NSS too. Heavy Sporter in .280 Remington so…

Nice to know it wasn’t just that caliber.

Kinda generic. They say that there are lots of ways, but their recommendation is to start with single shot then clean, five shots then clean, then ten shots then clean… I’m past that, but know that most barrels take 50-100 shots to really show their colors. I’m in that range now.

Truthfully, I like to shoot, and I had a bunch of loads from a rifle that I gave to my daughter that would never get used otherwise (she doesn’t like recoil, so she’s using some book starting loads that are still very effective), so I’m enjoying just shooting them. They are all 140gr, and shoot around MOA or better. I’d be comfortable hunting with them until they are gone, but would prefer the trigger time with components being so tight right now.

These groups were shot pretty quickly since I was limited on range time. I’m going to try to go back next weekend with some more loaded up to see if this is repeatable, and will likely try a few tenths of a grain to either side, as well as a couple of seating depth changes to see how it affects group size. I’m happy if this is as good as it gets, but I like to tinker (although my time is limited), and I want it to be the best that it can be.
They make a good barrel and reason for that is. They were start up company by Kreiger.

Well, I went back out and couldn’t duplicate the results. I’m going back to the drawing board

Well, I went back out and couldn’t duplicate the results. I’m going back to the drawing board
What did the groups look like this time? Also what scope and mounts are you using?
Is the stock bedded?
There are many reasons the groups wouldn’t duplicate this time.

Stock is bedded. Scope is a VX5HD. I was thinking the same thing at first. Then I tried some of the other loads that I had reseated from the 700, and they shot moa or sub-moa. I knew that I wasn’t shooting my best that day, but I didn’t feel that I was shooting THAT poorly. The other loads proved that.

I have theories, but they are just theories at this point. I’m using new brass, and had seated these all long before I went out, then adjusted them down with a different press to different OALs while I was at the range. I’m thinking that this affected the “grip” on the bullet and caused erratic ignition. I’m going to try two things next time out:

-Seating them all to the same OAL as the first time (3.340) using new brass

-Seating them all to the same length as the first time (3.340) and time using once fired brass

This should eliminate the neck tension or erratic “grip” variable.

Stock is bedded. Scope is a VX5HD. I was thinking the same thing at first. Then I tried some of the other loads that I had reseated from the 700, and they shot moa or sub-moa. I knew that I wasn’t shooting my best that day, but I didn’t feel that I was shooting THAT poorly. The other loads proved that.

I have theories, but they are just theories at this point. I’m using new brass, and had seated these all long before I went out, then adjusted them down with a different press to different OALs while I was at the range. I’m thinking that this affected the “grip” on the bullet and caused erratic ignition. I’m going to try two things next time out:

-Seating them all to the same OAL as the first time (3.340) using new brass

-Seating them all to the same length as the first time (3.340) and time using once fired brass

This should eliminate the neck tension or erratic “grip” variable.
Did you run your new brass through your FL die before loading?
Also be aware that the once fired and sized will probably be better accuracy but neck tension may be a little different vs new brass.

I did FL size the new brass. The first time that I fired it and got good results, I had loaded them at home close to a week prior at SAAMI max COAL. When I went back I tried the seating depth test “live” at the range and have hypothesized that this could have affected the groupings. I could be totally off, but I even tried the same COAL as before and it was terrible.

Gonna try to recreate the “week old” loading of both new brass, as well as 1 fired brass to remove this variable. Hoping to get similar results as first trip.

Duplicating loads! I have never seen it happen! You have a rifle that consistently shoot's say .250" groups. If you look close the shot's all hit in different spots. Then you take that same rifle and shoot one shot. Seems to me if it will duplicate then shot number two should be in the same hole. Best shooters that ever lived have been trying to do that with the best guns ever and still have never made it! Shooting a number of groups that all go about the same group size is best we seem to be able to do. Actually handloaders have this sickness. Rifle shoots 1" ave groups and we are not satisfied. Get it down to 3/4" and still bummed out!

Duplicating loads! I have never seen it happen! You have a rifle that consistently shoot's say .250" groups. If you look close the shot's all hit in different spots. Then you take that same rifle and shoot one shot. Seems to me if it will duplicate then shot number two should be in the same hole. Best shooters that ever lived have been trying to do that with the best guns ever and still have never made it! Shooting a number of groups that all go about the same group size is best we seem to be able to do. Actually handloaders have this sickness. Rifle shoots 1" ave groups and we are not satisfied. Get it down to 3/4" and still bummed out!
Not quite sure what you mean, or if you even read the thread. First time I went out I got sub-moa groups with test loads. Tried to verify that I could duplicate that, but groups opened up to more than double that. Gotta figure out what the variable is, and I’m assuming that I may have it isolated. Nothing to do with POI shift

I did FL size the new brass. The first time that I fired it and got good results, I had loaded them at home close to a week prior at SAAMI max COAL. When I went back I tried the seating depth test “live” at the range and have hypothesized that this could have affected the groupings. I could be totally off, but I even tried the same COAL as before and it was terrible.

Gonna try to recreate the “week old” loading of both new brass, as well as 1 fired brass to remove this variable. Hoping to get similar results as first trip.

I don’t think that changing the seating depth at the range would create such a big issue but could be wrong. If your brass has consistent neck tension and you seat them a little deeper after initial seating it wouldn’t change neck tension. Also after 1 week of sitting your loads most likely would not have bullet weld yet.

Your test of new and fired brass at 3.340 should show what’s happening.

Do you have any 4831? I’d try a load with that also. It works very well in the 270Win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back