I really have no idea what I am doing (hunting cow elk)

David58

Just really have no idea what I am doing, my conclusion. Scouted today looking for cows, as my hunt starts next Saturday. Found water, burn scars, dark woods - not one fresh poop. Not one fresh track. Maybe they've already moved downhill (I was up around 8000-9000, but very little snow). I guess all I have is prayer and hopes for a suicidal cow.

David
NM

That's elk hunting. Go higher, go to another ridge, keep looking till you find them is all you can do. Elk hunting is about persistence, and not wasting too much time in a bad spot.
Yeah! Just jump around from bad spot to bad spot like I do!

Seriously though I’d write it off and move on. No sense in wasting time where they ain’t, gotta find where they is.

Will get to scout one more half-day, then it's on. Not going to venture into the spot where I got one two years ago, not until season is open. But the crazy thing is there is browse all nice and green all over, and we have had little snow (99% gone) and today was the first day I would call cold.

I wish I had started doing this before I was so old....

David
NM

Today was the day before the 2nd cow season opener (there has been archery, Bull, ML, and one cow season so far). Did not see a single ATV - if I went up tomorrow, it would be different. At this point, I am looking at as many glass-able draws that I can find that are a mile off the road.

David
NM

Can you check areas a bit higher in elevation wherever you are? You mention checking places a mile from the road, can you go in another mile farther? It could make a big difference.

It's been an odd year in CO. I was finding elk at 7,000 feet during second season and normally don't see them in those spots until much much layer. Others that I talked to said much the same.

It's been an odd year in CO. I was finding elk at 7,000 feet during second season and normally don't see them in those spots until much much layer. Others that I talked to said much the same.
Interesting, I stopped on a FS Road as I needed to answer nature's call. Pulled in and found hide and parts from an elk that had been taken in the previous week. That was probably at 6500 feet, down in the pinons and junipers.

Too danged much to think about sometimes....

David
NM

Interesting, I stopped on a FS Road as I needed to answer nature's call. Pulled in and found hide and parts from an elk that had been taken in the previous week. That was probably at 6500 feet, down in the pinons and junipers.

Too danged much to think about sometimes....

David
NM
Elk will be anywhere from 3500 to 13000 ft. As long as there is food, water and security, you have a chance of finding elk

I saw a book for sale in the classifieds that might help.

In all seriousness keep pushing. All the advice above is sound. Get higher and watch the natural saddles between drainages. They're gonna pop up for you.

And for the record I don't think any of us know what we're doing lol

Just really have no idea what I am doing, my conclusion. Scouted today looking for cows, as my hunt starts next Saturday. Found water, burn scars, dark woods - not one fresh poop. Not one fresh track. Maybe they've already moved downhill (I was up around 8000-9000, but very little snow). I guess all I have is prayer and hopes for a suicidal cow.

David
NM
I guess that is why they call it hunting instead of getting.😜

David
NM
Do any of us? Really

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back