I like my bears like I like my women.....

Elkwhisper

..... pretty...... brown hair.... under 200 pounds... and like to ride in my truck! :hump:

Logged well over 20 hard , vertical miles on the ole boots looking for a bear the last couple of weeks. Ben and I did stumble into..... and spook.... a really nice cinnamon bear in a meadow on my first night out. But other than that, this was the only other bear I have seen all spring.

The ironic part about this bear is that after putting in lots of hard miles far from the trailhead, Ben and I drove out to get cell service last Thursday to call the wives. On the way back to the camper to take a nap, I happened to glass up above the road into and old burn. Ben and I agreed that it looked like a good spot to see a bear, but Ben commented that there was a hiker walking down the trail.. A quick check with my glasses confirmed that Ben's "hiker" was a bear. We got our gear together and headed up the opposite side of the canyon to get a better look across to the burn. We watched the bear for about 30 minutes before she finally gave us a good shot, and we were sure she didn't have cubs. Honestly, I think we were both thinking that it was a young boar, but it turned out to be a decent sized sow.

At any rate, after Ben flipped his safety on and off a few times trying to make up his mind, he made the statement, "If you don't shoot it, I am going to".... Well I knew Ben is looking for a big one, and as most of my hunting partners know, you don't have to dare me to shoot anything for very long. So with about a 250 yard shot across the draw, I let the air out of her and put one more in her as she was barreling down the mountain. If it hadn't been for the tree that stopped her rolling, she would have ended up less than 100 yards from the trailhead and the truck. That obviously simplified the logistics of getting here out of the woods.:D But I didn't feel to bad about that, because we had definitely earned an easy pack out with all the miles we had logged.

I hunted with Ben the next two nights, with no more bear sightings, and Ben stayed a couple of days after that, and saw several bears, but no shooters. Ben has a few more days off next week, so hopefully he will be able to tag a good one for his wall.

Good luck to those of you still out there looking...

Attachments

• Bear-sized.jpg
    Bear-sized.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 680
very cool Dan! SOunds like overall, its been a really slow year for bears here in MT this year. Normally by now, I've seen at least 15 or so. I shot the first one I saw, on the first night out, and saw two the next night but haven't laid eyes on one since........

Crazy year seems like.

Congrats on getting it done!

very cool Dan! SOunds like overall, its been a really slow year for bears here in MT this year. Normally by now, I've seen at least 15 or so. I shot the first one I saw, on the first night out, and saw two the next night but haven't laid eyes on one since........

Crazy year seems like.

Congrats on getting it done!

Same with me, I thought I had my thumb on them pretty good in April, but it's been pitiful since. Weird year with it getting so hot and dry, then dumping rain since.

Good looking bear Elkwhisper, great hide.

I read the title to my wife.... the first thing out of her mouth was, hairy? LOL

People seeing piles of bears up here. My friend lives near where I killed mine, he had 29 sightings last week.

I was up to thirteen in seven evenings of hunting this year. Unfortunately I couldn't get out at all the last week. Guess I'll have to find one in the huckleberries this fall.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back