Hybrid 100V powder

MThuntr

Anyone been using this stuff in 270Win?

About 2 years ago I stumbled across 4-5lbs that were priced below market value so I grabbed a couple pounds. I had planned on using it for my 300WSM but have since switched gears back to the tried and true non-magnum cartridges. I'm thinking of trying it in my 270 under a 140gr Partition. According Hodgdon it will give some good velocities in a compressed load which I suppose would be ok as long as I'm not crunching powder too badly.

Use a slightly heavier bullet and you won't have to worry about crunching any powder. ;)

I wouldn't worry about a compressed load of that nature. Looks like a very good powder for that combo.

One good thingis that it means you probably aren't going to get enough in the case to cause any problems...

definitely not afraid of a lightly compressed load. I was never able to get near a max load of Varget for my .223 due to case full loads. I once had a load of MagPro for my 300WSM that made some uncomfortable crunching when seating the bullet and played heck with pressure spiking when I shot in temps above 70 degrees.

I ordered a couple packs of 140 Partitions from ShootersProShop so I'll let you know what I find out.

Last edited:
I have a pound of 100V sitting on the shelf. Haven't tried it yet. From (fairly reliable) internet sources, you're going to see good accuracy and velocity in proper applications but noticeable sensitivity to temperature changes.

Temp sensitivity is no big deal unless you plan to shoot ridiculous distance. The temp will change the impact point very little. All powder has some sensitivity. Build your loads when it is warm and then sight in before you go hunting.

Compressed loads are no big deal at all. Lots of powder data has compressed loads-especially with the .308. To a degree, the fuller cases are more efficient and many times the more accurate loads.

Temp sensitivity is WAY overrated and stressed about concerning hunting loads. I've been using the notoriously sensitive RL-25 in my RUM for a loooong time. Temps from the 70's to below zero. mtmuley

Temp sensitivity is WAY overrated and stressed about concerning hunting loads. I've been using the notoriously sensitive RL-25 in my RUM for a loooong time. Temps from the 70's to below zero. mtmuley

My go-to powder for 160 Partitions in my 7 mag. Try some Re33 in that boomer.

Well I finally got the range to myself after having to wait 45 minutes for some jokers with a Mosin and an AR to get done.

I found a sweet spot at 53.5 and 53.8 grains with those groups right at about 1 inch. The rest of the groups were 1.2-1.5" (not spectacular imo). I started seeing pressure signs at 53.8 (flattened primers) but no stiff bolt so I went up to 54.1 grains and got resistance on the bolt so I quit.

My new chronograph (caldwell precision chrono) gave me some really high velocities so I need to see if I had it setup wrong or if I truly am getting 3006 out of the 53.5grain load.

Last edited:
Well I finally got the range to myself after having to wait 45 minutes for some jokers with a Mosin and an AR to get done.

I found a sweet spot at 53.5 and 53.8 grains with those groups right at about 1 inch. The rest of the groups were 1.2-1.5" (not spectacular imo). I started seeing pressure signs at 53.8 (flattened primers) but no stiff bolt so I went up to 54.1 grains and got resistance on the bolt so I quit.

My new chronograph (caldwell precision chrono) gave me some really high velocities so I need to see if I had it setup wrong or if I truly am getting 3006 out of the 53.5grain load.

You may very well be getting those velocities. Every barrel is different. I'll bet your chrono is correct.

You may very well be getting those velocities. Every barrel is different. I'll bet your chrono is correct.

You might be right. I shot a string of 25 of those value pack federal 22lr that are labeled 1260fps and got an average of 1273fps. I'd be very happy with 3006 as a velocity...a larger sample is already loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back