Hunting with a buddy

Badger_55

Just curious how you guys do it when hunting with your buddy when it comes to deciding who is up first. Right now we just kind go on the feeling of the situation on who is taking the shot or who shot the last animal from the previous year. There hasn't been any arguments but there has been some mixed feelings at times on who gets to shoot. Is flipping a coin and the guy that calls it is first up? Then does it change on a daily basis from there? Or what are some of the methods out there you all use when hunting with your good friend to ensure everyone gets a fair shot on their hunting trip? There has been times when a guy thought he was up and a quick situation presents itself and the other acts on it, and obviously instead of questioning it and losing the opportunity at a animal the shot is taken. I have seen this happen a couple of times leaving others in the group with a sour taste. We are all really close so this would never ruin anything when it comes to friendship or hunting but I just want to be fair to everyone.
I was thinking a coin flip or just deciding who gets the hammer the first day and then switch everyday unless the guy who is up obviously turns down the opportunity and allows the next guy to step up. Looking to try something new for this upcoming rifle trip. Where we usually hunt in a group of 2 and 3.

Thanks

Make a bet prior to the season on something meaningless to hunting. Baseball, football, basketball is common. The winner gets first shot but also has to shave a mohawk or male pattern baldness for the hunt. Then alternate.

switch morning and afternoon
spread out and hunt more terrain thus there is no ‘primary shooter’ as everyon is hunting a distinct area without interference. It can be a tall order to fill multiple tags if guys are paired up constantly so separating should be a key strategy considerarion.

see if one person is after a different size/quality of animal

do discuss “what if we are trying to get you set up for the first shot but the animal veers toward me and I am only one with a chance to shoot. what should I do?”

often, the non primary shooter ends up getting the best shot opportunity, it just falls into place. Part of the reason a guy can be OK with supposedly being “sidelined” IMO. All should be well aware and accepting of this....Perhaps more common with bow hunting setups...

Last edited:
Just talk about it beforehand. My philosophy is if a person has a shot, he/she should take it without having to have a conversation first. I'd rather my buddy shoot out of turn than neither of us get a shot because the moment came and went. If I'm hunting with someone, their success is my success.

I took 3 nephews on their first antelope hunt some years back. I had them draw straws. If someone wanted to pass on a buck it went on down the line. There was no passing.

Oh yeah for sure. That has never been the issue. Always will take the animal as it will get divided up in the group. Just want to set up a honest system where each person holds up their end. There are many times where we are split up hunting a different area but there are times where we are glassing and looking for animal to put a stalk on. All good ideas so far. Just dont want the guy who thinks he can shoot 800yds will always get first crack at an animal if its out of the next guys range but can easily cover their needed ground to get the opportuniity.

All good advise here. We usually have the first shooter be the guy who didn't fill his tag last year, or filled it last. If we have multiple people who didn't fill it the previous year, we go with who has been hunting that area the longest.

I always go with whoever found it has the opportunity to determine the stock and has first shot. My hunting style lends itself to finding animals a long way off. If a chance opportunity happens such as jumping a buck while hiking out the first opportunity is taken. Bowhunting we alternate caller and shooter for every setup. Calling coyotes together will give you an incredible opportunity to sort this out.
JBS

Man, I always thought that the "just feeling the situation out and whoever has a shot should take it" approach was ok. Historically, it has worked alright for my hunting partner and I. Then, this year, we had a nice bull elk at 30 yards raking a tree. Neither of us had a clear shot. I would be lying if I said there wasn't a bit of undesired tension as we silently tried to figure out who should move into position for a shot. Eventually, the bull walked off untouched.
Now we flip a coin and alternate days.

All good advise and all common sense ways to do it. TRS, I know how you feel and I guarantee as does my buddies. I think archery we went with the flip flop every chance for a set up was a good approach. I feel like if you spot it and you still have the tag its your call unless that would put you on back to back stalks then I would definitely say next up. I was in a situation last year where a buddy didn't really want to push on too much farther up the hill and I did any way, so I ended up finding 3 bulls feeding out. To far to go after before dark so went back and shared it with the group, we ended up going in there the next day and my buddy ended up taking one of those nice bulls. Which was great, we all got elk meat! The toughest one is I had my brothers father in law with me and we went up to a meadow where I had spotted a herd of elk that morning with multiple bulls again. We made our way to the edge of the meadow and had a great set up, just waited. During that time I was looking at him and I decided even though this is only his 2nd elk hunt, I would be very disappointed in myself if I did not give him the shot. He has put his time in, in this world and deserved it. The elk never showed up that night but I had made up my mind that that is how it was going to go down. Sometimes it is just tough, I have just been curious how others have been doing it out there. Again thanks for the responses.
Thanks for all the tips.

My brother is my main hunting partner and we play cribbage the night before to determine who’s up first. Fun and different way of going about it. Then we just rotate stalks/opportunities.

This is just my opinion. I just assume watch who ever I'm hunting with shoot something so it is sometimes an arguement of who is not shooting...but I'm the caller so I can end things quick if I dont get my way lol

Kind of funny to see this because I was in this situation earlier this season. I saw a group of cow elk at about 150 yards and tried to get my buddy lined up for a shot because he did not fill his tag last year and I did. However, he had for some reason wandered 50 yards away and could not see the elk. By the time I realized he was clueless and the opportunity was slipping away, I quickly lined up a poor shot and missed. Searched two hours and did not find a speck of blood. Haven't had a good look at an elk since. So my lesson learned was just take the shot if you get the chance. Anybody who can't handle that probably isn't a good partner. We had an agreement to split the meat anyway, and that's what we're really after. Just wish I could have that moment back and do things differently, but such is hunting.

We usually have a shooting competition at the trailhead before heading to our spot. The loser win a 6 pack of Coors and the winner gets first shot.

Just talk about it beforehand. My philosophy is if a person has a shot, he/she should take it without having to have a conversation first. I'd rather my buddy shoot out of turn than neither of us get a shot because the moment came and went. If I'm hunting with someone, their success is my success.
This right here.

We usually have a shooting competition at the trailhead before heading to our spot.
'Good way to determine first shot if you all hunt close with one another. But at the "trailhead", really? Please take it to the range prior to traveling to the hunting area.

Back