Wow....obviously dont know what happened but my best wishes to those involved....

My best friend lost his older brother to one right behind my house, and my dad lost his brother when they were boys to a careless neighbor boy..

Yeah hunting accidents suck..

Can’t imagine... you head out for the day (hunting) with the highest of expectations and come home racked with the most unimaginable guilt. Beyond sad 😣

Dang. Pretty terrible consequences for something that is 100% preventable. Prayers that you can get through it.

We provided first aid and CPR at a triple fatality while driving through Idaho this year. You don’t get over these kinds of things easily.

Very sad- I'm sorry this was part of your day. I know 2 people that have died due to reckless firearm use, and another that blew half his foot off in a layout blind. Every one could have been avoided by following any one of the firearm safety basics. Always very tragic.

After a long day at work I have but a few things to say:

1) Positively identify your target before you pull the trigger.

2) Dont lose track of your hunting partner(s).

3) A varmint bullet does some nasty damage to a human neck at 80 yards.

4) Tell your family that you love them.

Hunting accidents suck....
No matter how much training you have these situations suck for everyone involved. Even though we have never met , If there is anything I can do to help you do not hesitate to reach out.

Yeah they do and your points are right on.

I have personally witnessed a hunting accident but fortunately the victim survived. Someone in our hunting group when I was a teen yells "everyone duck" and shoots a fawn muley. Needless to say that person was uninvited and asked to go home. Cops should of arrested him but did not. The victim who was family just got winged, nothing serious.

When I was 12, I was out rabbit hunting and was in full blaze orange head to toe. Someone shot my hat off of me.

Luckily I have never witness someone killed hunting. As an MP though at Camp Pendleton, I did witness someone brought in the the base hospital who later died. He was accidently shot while hunting on Camp Pendleton in California.

Very sad- I'm sorry this was part of your day. I know 2 people that have died due to reckless firearm use, and another that blew half his foot off in a layout blind. Every one could have been avoided by following any one of the firearm safety basics. Always very tragic.

Im good friends with the guy that shot his foot in the layout blind. That was half user error and half shotgun malfunction. If he would have had his gun in a different position the malfunction would have just been a scare instead of 3 surgeries and 6 months of no walking. He was very lucky that the shot didn't do more damage and has fully recovered except for a few #2's that the surgeon decided not to remove. I'd post the pic of his foot, but anyone who is squeamish would hate me.

Jt13, I have been in your shoes. Too many times. Your post brings back ugly images. Certainly the very worst part of being a Warden. Talk to your co-workers and family. Most F&G Law Enforcement Agencies now offer professional councilors. I would encourage you to take advantage of that. I'll not not intrude, but I'm always here for a PM. God bless.

A couple years back one of dad's friends was hunting the property in front of dad's house for turkey. Dad heard a shot a few hours later and about half an hour after that his friend comes stumbling out of the woods with blood pouring down his face. He was shot by another hunter at 35 yards in the neck/face/shoulder with a #6 turkey load. He was shooting at a turkey call and movement. Luckily, most of the pattern hit a small tree. In all he had over 20 pellets hit him. Three pellets passed within millimeters his jugular vein and coratid artery, one grazing the jugular and causing a anuerysm that thank God didn't bust before it was repaired. Dad rushed him to the hospital and called me when he got home. I've never heard my dad so freaked out in my life, and hope I never do again. If the guy would have been using something like #9 TSS, he would have never stood up from the tree he was sitting against.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back