HT gun experts - Am I missing something on this Weatherby?

utahminer

I haven’t been a student of Weatherbys and came across what appears to be a pretty good deal and would really appreciate a little help. Tonight I found an older used 300 Weatherby Mark V with a Zeiss classic Diavari scope for $650. The stock shows some wear, but is still in pretty good condition. I believe that It would have come with a 26” barrel (please tell me if I am wrong) but it has been shortened to 22” and an an adjustable break installed. I believe this should be a $1500+ package and seems a little too go to be true, but would love your thoughts and advice on what to look for. On the rack was a similar Mark V in a 378 with a 22” barrel and a Leupold Gold Ring. It makes me believe that someone just sold their grandfather or father’s rifles and didn’t know what they had. Please let me know if I am missing something or if the shortened barrels should cause the dramatic decrease in price.

As I have pondered these two guns I wish they could talk. I can imagine numerous stories from Alaska, Canada and Africa; which just makes them all the more interesting to me.

Thanks in advance

Even if the barrels are cut down you can get one rebarreled and still be right in the 1500 ball park.

Seems to me that they should be in the 26" ballpark.
The whole attraction to Weatherby is velocity, so a short barrel is contradictory.
Especially the 378.

22" is a bit short for a .300 wthby. I'd think that's the biggest reason for the lower price. That gun will likely be blowing unburned powder out the muzzle. It will be loud, big muzzle flash in low-light conditions. It might shoot fine, but you'll be missing out on some velocity, which is what people generally shoot magnum cartridges for.

Gents, thanks for your help. You have confirmed some things I thought. I still haven’t made a decision but I’m a lot closer.

I would pass on a 22" Weatherby magnum. Someone's ruined those rifles.
A 24" would be a little easier to live with but the muzzle rise and boom from that rifle wouldn't make it user friendly.

If the scope and action are decent it's not a bad price for a donor foundation....but yea, I'd be barrel shopping first thing.

I really appreciate everyone's comments it helped me to pass on the opportunity. I learned a lot of the last couple of days.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back