Yeti

Howa synthetic replacement stock?

Mthuntinfool

Hi guys, I have an older Howa in 7mm Rem mag with a wood stock I picked up this spring. It shoots great, and I would like to turn it into my primary rifle. The only problem I have with it is it weighs about 9 pounds. I have been thinking of updating the stock to synthetic or a Hogue, but haven't found much available for the older models.
So I refer to all the wisdom that is HuntTalk, does anyone know where I could find a stock that would shave some weight off this ol' cannon? thanks in advance.

Gr8bawana

If you go with a lighter stock invest in a good recoil pad. I have a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag that weighs 9.5lbs and it still kicks pretty good. Of course whe I'm shooting at game I never feel it but when practicing the shots begin to take a toll.

Wyatt G

The hogue stocks are pretty heavy and wont cut very much weight, but that bell and carlson stock that mtmuley put up will cut quite a bit.

hank4elk

I put a Hogue full bed on my old 700,and it is great. Little recoil in an -06....
Still way lighter than my beautiful old burl cracked stock.
Indestructable just about.

1_pointer

Since you want it to be your primary, I'd strongly suggest a high end fiberglass stock. Lots of folks like the Sako Classic pattern from McMillan for Howas.
https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-sako-hunter/

Regular construction/fill should be about 30-32oz. Get it with Edge construction and it'll be about 6 or so oz lighter. They are expensive, but they are also a one and done option (if you like the pattern).

Here's another light option for Howa. These were formerly known as Bansner or High Tech Specialities Stocks. Very good reputation.

http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/high-tech-specialties-stocks/

I'd also check into Manners stocks as well. I like the looks of the EH-8, but I'm not sure if or what models they have for Howas.