How to Prove you Owned "High Capacity" Magazines?

dmass

We're having a discussion elsewhere about how to prove you owned "High Capacity" magazines prior to Measure 114's passage, if it ends up passing. I have some thoughts, but I'd like to hear some other brilliant ideas.
I've already thought or heard about taking them to your lawyer and having an affidavit filled out and signed by witnesses. I wonder about how solid the proof would be if you just uploaded photos of them here or to some other forum, where the upload date and time are recorded, or maybe just to any cloud server?

COEngineer

This thread might be better placed in the State Specific forum. I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm assuming this is not in CO.

As for your question, I think the best proof would be to take your "high capacity" magazine to your legislator's office and show it to him/her and have a polite discussion about the 2nd Amendment. The other option is to keep it out of sight until the law gets thrown out by the US Supreme Court, which might take a while, but seems like the inevitable result of an unconstitutional law.

wllm

If you look at how these laws have been implemented and enforced in various jurisdictions there is typically zero enforcement/policing on ownership.

The only real effect is on sales.

MA has all sorts of gun laws, with lots of grandfather provisions. The only difference between MT and MA with regard to gun laws that I have noticed is with transactions.

Therefore, my assumption is that because you have them is defacto proof that they were legally acquired before the ban.

Gravelyctry

Have anything to back that up? Are there prosecutions happening without proof beyond a reasonable doubt?
Sorry if This is considered off topic. Based on my understanding, people can be charged and prosecuted with little evidence or proof and there’s a lot of discretion on these decisions. Convictions are the result of ’guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.’

Defending yourself from a prosecution is expensive and disruptive for anyones life. A prosecution is penalty enough even if found ‘not guilty’.

shrapnel

If you are worried about it, line them up on today's newspaper and take a picture.
That is really weak. Having a 2 year old newspaper isn't impossible and taking a picture of it with the magazines is only a picture of a newspaper and magazines...

HeartbeatofAmerica Freak

Sorry if This is considered off topic. Based on my understanding, people can be charged and prosecuted with little evidence or proof and there’s a lot of discretion on these decisions. Convictions are the result of ’guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.’

Defending yourself from a prosecution is expensive and disruptive for anyones life. A prosecution is penalty enough even if found ‘not guilty’.
My apologies, prosecutions should have been replaced with convictions.

Prosecution still require probable cause, which is a burden of proof above what you are stating. Have anything to show prosecutions are happening with little or no proof/evidence?

HeartbeatofAmerica Freak

We're having a discussion elsewhere about how to prove you owned "High Capacity" magazines prior to Measure 114's passage, if it ends up passing. I have some thoughts, but I'd like to hear some other brilliant ideas.
I've already thought or heard about taking them to your lawyer and having an affidavit filled out and signed by witnesses. I wonder about how solid the proof would be if you just uploaded photos of them here or to some other forum, where the upload date and time are recorded, or maybe just to any cloud server?
Does the law state you must have proof you owned them prior to passage?

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

longbow51

In CA, I think the lawyer/affidavit would be worth the money. Most crimes there seem to go unpunished, but I'll bet they would press this to the limit.

Dakotakid

How about just mailing yourself a package of high capacity mags. Break seal in event of emergency. Leave packaged.

FI460

Oregon has a measure 114 regarding firearms coming up. I assume that's what he's talking about.

I'm not worried about it as far as magazines go. The exemption exists in the text. I obviously won't have been able to purchase them after the law hypothetically goes into effect.

Take a picture of your magazines if you are worried about it.

wllm

I suppose if you were really worried about it you could get someone to put a serial number on them, write an affidavit of ownership on a given date and then have it notorized.

The notary wouldn’t be able to attest ownership, but could attest that you signed a document with the serial numbers on that specific date, which predated the ban.

So essentially creating some sort of chain of title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabbit hunter