Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How often to reload Muzzleloader in the backcountry?

nontyp

I am heading out to CO next week for a muzzleloader elk hunt. I’m just curious what other people do. Do you leave your gun loaded the entire time, or reload it every couple of days due to moisture concerns?

I toss my powder and primer In the trash daily and run a clean patch down the barrel and clean my plug from any “old” powder.

Powder and primers are “cheap”.

A misfire will haunt you until your 6 feet under.

Different for everyone I suppose. I keep mine loaded until I get a shot. I have had a fizzled-pop or two over the years. A second cap almost always works. For me that is part of the adventure. YMMV

I shoot a T/C Greyhawk Stainless Hawken. I use the Lyman weather kit. I think it has been discontinued. I load up preseason it a dry environment. Powder, patched ball, carefully duct tape the muzzle, cap, finish with Lyman nipple cover. The nipple cover fits tight over the round base of the nipple. It keeps out moisture as well as physically prevents the hammer from impacting the cap.

Different for everyone I suppose. I keep mine loaded until I get a shot. I have had a fizzled-pop or two over the years. A second cap almost always works. For me that is part of the adventure. YMMV

I shoot a T/C Greyhawk Stainless Hawken. I use the Lyman weather kit. I think it has been discontinued. I load up preseason it a dry environment. Powder, patched ball, carefully duct tape the muzzle, cap, finish with Lyman nipple cover. The nipple cover fits tight over the round base of the nipple. It keeps out moisture as well as physically prevents the hammer from impacting the cap.
You cap it at home and drive around with and leave it capped? Definitely not legal by me, but I’d argue against it just for public safety.

Depends a lot on your powder and your rifle. Some rifles seal up really nice. Triple 7 loves to absorb moisture and BH 209 seems to be immune to humidity.

Where I hunt in CO the humidity is so low I can’t imagine the powder ever absorbing enough to have problems. However, if I’m caught in a rainstorm I will unload and reload.

You cap it at home and drive around with and leave it capped? Definitely not legal by me, but I’d argue against it just for public safety.
Do you see the words home and drive anywhere in my post? This thread is about backcountry MZ hunts.

I would tape the end and if no rain and it’s left in the ambient temp it will be fine until shot.

Taking in and out of heat then cold is my main concern. I leave mine exposed to what ever the temp outside is. If I get a drizzle or more then I will change it. Otherwise just hunt it.

I am heading out to CO next week for a muzzleloader elk hunt. I’m just curious what other people do. Do you leave your gun loaded the entire time, or reload it every couple of days due to moisture concerns?

I've left mine loaded for a whole week of hunting with rainy weather. Barrel was carefully taped with electrical tape, and I put another piece of electrical tape with a little folded 'flag' end over the primer hole so I could easily pull it off and prime when needed. I left it loaded for the drive home, capped it and fired at my backstop to unload, no issue.

I’ll be out there doing the same. Im using T7 and my plan is to reload every 3 days as long as the weather is dry. If it’s raining a good bit then I’ll change to more often. Definitely will have electrical tape over the muzzle also.

I'm doing my first muzzleloader hunt in CO this year and have been thinking about the same thing. I'm thinking leaving it loaded and just taking out the primer at the end of the day will be fine barring any rain event. I may reload every 2 days or something just for peace of mind.

Unless it rains I just keep the same powder in. That is with BH209. I first run clean patches to get any oil out before loading and do one primer as a fouler.

I use loose triple 7 in a tc triumph. Every 3rd day I do new powder when in CO for elk. Here in MI for whitetails only reload after I fill a tag.

I will load my muzzleloader Saturday morning and keep it loaded until I shoot at an animal or it’s time to go home. I put tape around the barrel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back