How much ammo?

williaada

I was wondering how much ammo does one bring with themselves when out in the field and total brought for the trip?

11. 2 three round magazines and a 5 round pouch. Don’t ever plan on emptying the first mag but I bring that many so it doesn’t come down to it.

A full magazine and 10 extra in the field. Usually have a full 20 in the truck in the event I have to check zero, etc.

I bring at least 20 for each rifle on the trip. I always bring a back up scoped rifle, plus my 30-30. I worry about bumping scopes and dropped rifles, so I like a few extra rounds to check zero to see if I need to go to the back up. But, in the rifles I carry 3 in a magazine plus the 5 or 6 in a stock shell holder and keep the rest in the truck. My 30-30 is brought for inclement weather when I don't feel the scope is a good option, like fog or heavy rain.

3 in the mag, 4 on the sling (Butler Creek) with shell holder built in, usually a couple in pockets and a bunch in the pickup.

I bring two boxes with me in the car/on the plane, when I get to the trail head I load my gun and put 10 in an ammo pouch so 13 total.

Usually about 10 rounds in the field and then a box in the car.

I usually carry 3 in my rifle, and 5 or 6 in a shell holder in my backpack, and a partial box in my truck. I also bring a spare rifle in case I bump my scope on something and believe my zero may have been changed.

I usually carry 3 in my rifle and up to 10 in a shell holder on my belt or suspenders. I usually take 2 twenty round boxes on each hunt and leave those back in camp or in my truck. On my first hunt to Mozambique I took my .300 Weatherby and 2 twenty round boxes of 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for Leopard and Sable, and 1 twenty round box of 150 grain FMJ bullets for the little 20-30 pound antelope. Good idea for the FMJ bullets for the little critters, but bad idea for two different bullets for the same rifle. Plus, Mozambique only allows hunters to bring in 40 rounds of ammunition, so when I entered the country I spent almost an hour at customs filling out paperwork to leave the third 20 cartridges with customs, and another hour when I left the country with the Mozambique police and customs to get my bullets back. Third world bureaucratic incompetency!

I have never taken a spare or back-up rifle or extra scope on a hunt, although I'll often take my .22-250 for prairie dogs along with my .257 Ackley deer and antelope rifle on hunts in eastern Montana. Also on one African hunt I took my .375 RUM for buffalo and my 7 mm RM for plains game. I ended up shooting most of my animals with the .375 RUM, and many foreign countries charge a $50 to $200 fee for each rifle, plus some charge a $1 to $2 fee for each cartridge that you bring in. I have never NEEDED a second rifle on ANY hunt.

Interesting. I only have one unsuccessful hunt experience, but I’m surprised at the quantity of ammo - at least carried in the field. My consideration to date has been to bring a 20 count box of ammo in the vehicle. Given that I’m essentially day hunting, I carried 3 cartridges in the magazine and another 3 in a pocket/pouch. I couldn’t foresee a scenario where on a daily basis I’d need more than 6 rounds. I might need to re-evaluate.

The truck might have 50 to 100 rounds. The gun and pockets typically total 8 in the field. I do have a fried who carries 2 boxes in the field its totally crazy. How many knives do you carry??? I carry 3 and a small steel.

I had a spine stunned bull elk get up as I was walking down the opposite ridge. The scramble to get another one in him used up 4 shots off hand and the ensuing track and jump 2x through the deadfall used another 4 before he was down for good. Up to that point I'd never used more than one shot on an elk. Humbled me right up.

I think my belt pouch holds 10 and a spare box of 20 doesn't take up much room in my saddle bag or luggage.

I had a spine stunned bull elk get up as I was walking down the opposite ridge. The scramble to get another one in him used up 4 shots off hand and the ensuing track and jump 2x through the deadfall used another 4 before he was down for good. Up to that point I'd never used more than one shot on an elk. Humbled me right up.

I think my belt pouch holds 10 and a spare box of 20 doesn't take up much room in my saddle bag or luggage.
I had a very similar experience and like you said, humble pie for supper. I now carry an even dozen and I've had people say dumb things like "with all that extra weight?"...one who brags that he takes 3 and only 3 on any day in the field - he'll eventually have his day.

I load my rifle with 5 and carry 5 more. Those are out of a box of 20. I have a second box of twenty in camp just in case. The only contingency I have had to deal with up to now has been giving rounds to a camp mate who forgot his :)

We need more than 1? :rolleyes: Just kidding. I usually bring 10 rounds with me while hunting and keep a full box of 20 in the truck.

Usually have 2 boxes in camp/truck. In the field I have 3 in the magazine, 6 on my sling and 1 in my pocket that gets chambered when it's time to shoot. So 10 in the field and they're all readily available so no digging in a pack for bullets. Having said that, I don't think I've ever needed any of the 6 on the sling (knock on wood).

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back