How many have hunted the west with a single shot rifle?

What is your pistol set up? I've been thinking about a 6.8 spc. I think it would be a nice little pistol set up.
On the goat, I used a scoped 10” stainless steel T/C Contender in 30/30.

I think the 6.8 SPC would be a great pistol round for hunting. I shot a black bear with my 14.5” 6.8 rifle. It dropped pretty quick.

I carried a Encore for years. Elk hunting I used a 300 win mag and a 7mm rem mag. For deer I used my 7mm-08 barrel. All of these barrels shoot at least MOA, the magnum calibers had muzzle brakes on them. The heavy barrels of the magnum rounds made the rifles heavy. I have a custom Remington 700 in 7mm for my primary gun. I'll take my encore as a back up.

blacksheep
Do you know the weight difference between the encore with the magnum barrel vs the 700? Thanks

When I first jumped into Western hunting I used aT/C Encore in 7mm mag. It was heavy but killed several animals with it. I since switched to lighter bolt guns. Always wanted a Ruger #1 I think they are beautiful tools.

Though not a 'designated' one shot, my only rifle I utilize for current western hunting is a 45-70 for which, if you calculate the cycle time following the significant recoil and adjustment of rifle takes almost just as long as a single shot with rapid reloading skills.

Attachments

• D4D4B03F-F83B-4ACC-8EC7-6F05BF6244FE.jpeg
    D4D4B03F-F83B-4ACC-8EC7-6F05BF6244FE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
I've used a single shot bolt rifle for the past 5 years. In my mind it isn't a handicap. I think the opposite it helps you slow down and get a good shot. Load quick if you need a a follow-up.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back