Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How do you sight in your guns?

I think the point is not that you'll completely eliminate holdover (or under), but that you'll at least keep it on the animal vs. above it. I shoot both 300WSM and 270, and their drops are comparable. With 100yd zero, they each drop about 3" at 200 and just under 12" at 300. At 400, it's about 24'", so 3" high 100yd zero method starts to fall apart beyond 300 yds (at least for what I shoot). But if you're shooting under that, then it's a viable way to zero if your not dialing your scope.

That's not quite true. 3" hold over will not get much if any cartridges into the boiler room at 400 yds without pretty good holdover. With an 8" target in my big game rifle's I do come in about 3" high at 100yds and all go about 4" low at between 270 and 280 yds. At 300 yds all drop about another 6". I don't shoot beyond 300 yds and only did that once in my life so not sure what would happen at 400yds but I am certain you'd have to hold over some. I did do some target shooting some years back to 500 yds and the drop was something like 20 clicks beyond where I'd zeroed with a 6.5x06 and 140gr SMK's.
You do have a little holdover at 400, but I guess I assumed anyone who has shot that kind of distance would know that. I shoot .308, and my holdover is the top of the back at 400 (13.5 in.) I have never shot at an animal at that distance, but I have shot enough paper/steel at that range that I wouldn't have a problem taking that shot. The reason I like that zero, is that I don't need to hold over out to 350 yds.

I wedge the gun between mirror and A pillar, then adjust the seat to get on target. Okay, not really.

I use a bench, bipod, sandbags, pack, whatever I have available at the time.
In a pinch the mirror trick works pretty good imo.

Home made shooting table. Sit on a 5gal bucket.
2lc1Rorl.jpg

OIT7ID4l.jpg

17Y9V4Ll.jpg
I really approve of the wedges to get a decent splay to the legs. That is a quick workaround that adds a bunch of stability.

I am reluctant to reply as out here, a 50 yard shot on a bear is considered "long range shooting".

However, I do sight my rifles at 100 yards (would do 200 but my range only goes to 100). For me, its Caldwell bean bag in the front, my shoulder in the rear (it came with a rear bean bag, but I never use it).

Usually only gain the scopes up to 6x for 100 yard shots. Always wondered about target drift with magnification, but none of my scopes has exhibited this over this range.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back