Hey Idaho

idelkhntr

I've been on Hunt Talk for a few years, but haven't been active for a while. I live in SE Idaho north of Idaho Falls. I grew up in a small town in Kansas then moved to Chicago when I was 23 for work. Most recently I moved to Idaho in the summer of 2009. Growing up Kansas wasn't the deer mecca it is now so there wasn't much opportunity for big game. I spent a lot of time fishing and Pheasant hunting. Once I moved to Illinois I wanted to get back to doing outdoor activities so I started Muskie fishing in 1990. That was my passion until I moved to Idaho in 2009.

In 2008 I went on a guided rifle Elk hunt in Montana. I hit it off with one of the other hunters in camp and one night when we were sitting around BSing he told me if I really wanted to have a lot of fun I should go out and buy a bow, learn how to shoot and archery hunt Elk during the rut. I wasn't back in Illinois a month and had a bow and started teaching myself how to shoot. As luck would have it I was given an opportunity to advance my career and move to Idaho. I've been archery hunting Elk ever since. It is now my new passion. I've harvested two bulls with my bow. The past few years I have become too picky and have past up several animals.

Last year, I drew a bull Moose tag. After 40 days of hunting and over 350 miles of hiking I harvested a nice bull. it was 44.5" wide, which is above average for the unit I hunted, and it had awesome daggers coming off the front instead of the usual split tines. Over the seven years I've lived in Idaho I taught myself how to hunt Elk. Each year I expand my hunting area and at least get an opportunity to harvest an animal every year, I just have passed on those opportunities the past few years because I was getting into much bigger Elk.

My wife and I adopted two of our grandchildren, a boy and a girl. My girl is disabled, but is my inspiration every single day. She makes me believe in hope and strength. My boy is now 11 and will be hunting for the first time this season. He isn't quite strong enough to pull back his bow with the weight required to hunt so we are rifle hunting this year. Which works out good for me because I don't rifle hunt so he will have my undivided attention during those seasons. He's really excited to get out and test his skills. I take him with me occasionally during archery season when his schooling doesn't interfere.

My wife and I talk frequently how lucky we are to live where we do and be so close to nature. We spend a lot of time hiking, camping and sightseeing in the mountains throughout the year. We always say there's a value on living here and it's something you can't put a price tag on.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back