Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

hermosa creeck

huntsall37

Hi guys. My friend and i are planning our first ever western hunt in Colorado 2nd season unit 74 for elk and hopefully mule deer. We've been planning and researching since november to backpack in and hunt the entire season plus a few days before hand for scouting. I think i have a solid plan but would be grateful for any tips from some more experienced hunters. Thanks

Don't know how much help I can offer other than to say I archery hunted there last year. More people in that area than I've ever seen. That said, we were on the north end. I talked to a guy that said the south end had fewer people, but the oak brush was real thick. Also talked to a forest service guy that said he hunts out of a treestand there with good luck, but hikes as high as he can get.

Hey Huntsall37,

I live due east of Hermosa creek by the ski area. Pm me any time. I was able to get some guys on a couple great 4 point deer in there last year. I was not guiding them, that was my former life. But I was able to suggest a few drainage's that fit their hunting style. Hopefully I can help out, depends on what you want to do.
Just know 2nd season is busy and the temps over the last few years are much warmer. 2nd season can be downright hot around here. It could change the plan you've made for months in a matter of hours. In other words, prepare to be flexible. That's the best advice I can give.
Btw, there are literally 300 elk feeding across the road from my house tonight. They are in the middle of migrating from the valley up to the treeline. Maybe I'll go sneak a radio collar on one of them for you! Just kidding. Funny how they get up high and just vanish over the summer.
Let me know, JW
IMG_4554.jpg

Last edited:
That's good living BrokenArrow

"Every day I be hustlin'"

Takes a lot of work to keep the train rolling in this part of the country, but I honestly think I wouldn't make it in the city. This view during the spring/late winter migration keeps me going.
If I can help some folks get in touch with the wild things around here, I'm happy to share it. Everybody should get to run around in the woods.
The problem is all those elk really know how to hide when we start getting serious about upcoming seasons. They never fail to amaze me at how good they are at what they do. That's why success rates are as low as they are! Even for us local guys. Elk are just awesome.

Hey Huntsall37,

I live due east of Hermosa creek by the ski area. Pm me any time. I was able to get some guys on a couple great 4 point deer in there last year. I was not guiding them, that was my former life. But I was able to suggest a few drainage's that fit their hunting style. Hopefully I can help out, depends on what you want to do.
Just know 2nd season is busy and the temps over the last few years are much warmer. 2nd season can be downright hot around here. It could change the plan you've made for months in a matter of hours. In other words, prepare to be flexible. That's the best advice I can give.
Btw, there are literally 300 elk feeding across the road from my house tonight. They are in the middle of migrating from the valley up to the treeline. Maybe I'll go sneak a radio collar on one of them for you! Just kidding. Funny how they get up high and just vanish over the summer.
Let me know, JW
View attachment 82497

Where were u last year when I was asking about this place?? Lol. We hunted 74 2nd season looking for mule deer. We started at 11k feet and worked our way down but got skunked. I think maybe we were not high enough. That and we probably covered too much ground too fast. Did see some elk below the ski area FWIW. I actually didn't find it as crowded as I expected except for the first two days.

I appreciate the willingness to help. i tried to pm you but it told me your mailbox was full

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and replies. Living and hunting on public land in the northeast crowds are a fact of life so here i Count on going farther and working harder than everyone else. I don't know if that's a sound strategy there but its my current plan. my biggest struggle has been what elevation, terrain, and habitat should i be looking for in my e scouting and in the 3 days before the season when i can get my boots on the ground. thanks again for any help.

I appreciate the willingness to help. i tried to pm you but it told me your mailbox was full

Dang, sorry man. I cleared'r out. I try to get on here and catch up a couple times a week. Give me a shout again with your questions.

Where were u last year when I was asking about this place?? Lol. We hunted 74 2nd season looking for mule deer. We started at 11k feet and worked our way down but got skunked. I think maybe we were not high enough. That and we probably covered too much ground too fast. Did see some elk below the ski area FWIW. I actually didn't find it as crowded as I expected except for the first two days.

10-4. Strange. I tried to help a few folks out. I know at least 2 that tagged out. One actually shot a way bigger deer than I've ever shot around here. Happy for them.

I will say that 2nd season was rough. It seemed really hot and dry. Most animals holed up really good around water. I had a 4th season elk hunt that went well for me just because it finally snowed and we could pick them out glassing. Even that was tough. Are you coming back out? I'm around to help as much as I can be.

Dang, sorry man. I cleared'r out. I try to get on here and catch up a couple times a week. Give me a shout again with your questions.

10-4. Strange. I tried to help a few folks out. I know at least 2 that tagged out. One actually shot a way bigger deer than I've ever shot around here. Happy for them.

I will say that 2nd season was rough. It seemed really hot and dry. Most animals holed up really good around water. I had a 4th season elk hunt that went well for me just because it finally snowed and we could pick them out glassing. Even that was tough. Are you coming back out? I'm around to help as much as I can be.

That's awesome you're willing to help us out. Thanks for being so generous with your info.

I didn't put in for the draw this year so won't be hunting deer. Still thinking about OTC elk but I'm not sure I can handle packing an elk out solo considering I've never killed one. Although I guess you can't learn without doing. But I will definitely look you up I I decide to go there. Thanks again!

That's awesome you're willing to help us out. Thanks for being so generous with your info.

I didn't put in for the draw this year so won't be hunting deer. Still thinking about OTC elk but I'm not sure I can handle packing an elk out solo considering I've never killed one. Although I guess you can't learn without doing. But I will definitely look you up I I decide to go there. Thanks again!

If you do need some help, let me know. It's hard for me to get on here sometimes, but I will get back at ya. Good luck wherever you end up!

Hey Huntsall37,

Let me know, JW
View attachment 82497
I am on my way out to unit 74 tonight from IL for otc elk. I was wondering if you could give me some info? If you could email me cause I can't message on here. That would be awesome. My email is [email protected] Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back