Help With Finding Good Mapping Resources

scarlsen

I was hoping to find some help with locating some good mapping and trail finding resources. I'm trying to scout for an upcoming elk trip I want to begin the process of identifying access point and trailheads throughout my unit so I'm not stumbling around as much come fall. I'm looking for Idaho in particular but am interested in any tips. I use google earth and my gps mapping quite regulatory but want to know if there are any other great resources out there. I'd appreciate any help on the topic, Thank you!

I'm a GIS Analyst by profession and up until recently have put together all my own maps and layers for my GPS device. This year I had a buddy start working for onXmaps and he gave me a promo code. I have to say I will probably still do some of my own work because I enjoy it, but that app is all you need. Plus they have a desktop version in beta that you can use with the premium data you have purchased for your GPS device and or phone. The phone app works pretty damn well, I used it on a spring bear hunt in may with no issues and, honestly I prefer my iphone to my garmin in terms of usability.

If you want to do things yourself and have access to Arc or know your way around QGIS you can download shapefiles of trails from the NFS and BLM and there are several different places that will give you ownership info.

MyTopo has good ownership maps to scan an area for a high level view with free previews.

ONX maps in some form is always worth the $30-$100

State fish and game unit maps or even better google earth KMZ files.

County road maps to determine whats a publicly maintained road

BLM and Forest Service Maps for trails and OHV vehicle use. USGS Topo maps.

Strava heat maps show you were people run and bike commonly. Similarly local trail groups have maps for hiking, biking or mountaineering.

I'm a GIS Analyst by profession and up until recently have put together all my own maps and layers for my GPS device. This year I had a buddy start working for onXmaps and he gave me a promo code. I have to say I will probably still do some of my own work because I enjoy it, but that app is all you need. Plus they have a desktop version in beta that you can use with the premium data you have purchased for your GPS device and or phone. The phone app works pretty damn well, I used it on a spring bear hunt in may with no issues and, honestly I prefer my iphone to my garmin in terms of usability.

If you want to do things yourself and have access to Arc or know your way around QGIS you can download shapefiles of trails from the NFS and BLM and there are several different places that will give you ownership info.

I'm a land surveyor and beginner GIS user.
What and in what format do you export from Arc to make it useable in a handheld GPS?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gracey.bently
Back