Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Help me count...

I'd guess that of all the whole elk in the photo 8 are calves 12 are cows.

The two partially obscurred elk at top left and top right, I'd call cows. I could be persuaded the half elk on the bottom right is a calf.

I see a bunch of Miss September's, Centerfold Eicher's, and of course the Bull RMEF'ers who's dropped their horns and scoping out their rut picks for the upcoming season...

Not going to claim I hold the skilled eye to place a select count on cow/calf ratio.

I would imagine height... (tough in pics), a darker rump would be younger? A thin neck? Maybe less mass all around would be the features I'd view for calves? Will be interesting to learn how those sage elk hunters pull their #'s...

I’m gonna blow everyone’s mind here, and they I’m interested to hear the feedback because I feel like I am missing something with everyone else’s post. 23 cows/1 calf

I think that 15 cows/8 calves is in the ballpark. That's a pretty good post-winter ratio for growing an elk herd. IF I recall my biology correctly (and correct me if I don't) One calf per 3 cows is a growing elk herd. This is almost 1 per 2. But I suck at math. Mostly this gives me respect for the biologists who split cows from calves in real time in the seat of a small airplane or helicopter. Hard to count and hold a blue bag at the same time IME.

15/8 maybe 16/7

That means 3 or 4 big dry cows this fall weighing 300 pounds boned out and the rest will be real heavy spikes.

Internet weights of course.

Back