Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Help me count...

I'd guess that of all the whole elk in the photo 8 are calves 12 are cows.

The two partially obscurred elk at top left and top right, I'd call cows. I could be persuaded the half elk on the bottom right is a calf.

I see a bunch of Miss September's, Centerfold Eicher's, and of course the Bull RMEF'ers who's dropped their horns and scoping out their rut picks for the upcoming season...

Not going to claim I hold the skilled eye to place a select count on cow/calf ratio.

I would imagine height... (tough in pics), a darker rump would be younger? A thin neck? Maybe less mass all around would be the features I'd view for calves? Will be interesting to learn how those sage elk hunters pull their #'s...

I’m gonna blow everyone’s mind here, and they I’m interested to hear the feedback because I feel like I am missing something with everyone else’s post. 23 cows/1 calf

I think that 15 cows/8 calves is in the ballpark. That's a pretty good post-winter ratio for growing an elk herd. IF I recall my biology correctly (and correct me if I don't) One calf per 3 cows is a growing elk herd. This is almost 1 per 2. But I suck at math. Mostly this gives me respect for the biologists who split cows from calves in real time in the seat of a small airplane or helicopter. Hard to count and hold a blue bag at the same time IME.

15/8 maybe 16/7

That means 3 or 4 big dry cows this fall weighing 300 pounds boned out and the rest will be real heavy spikes.

Internet weights of course.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back