Help Me Choose My First Pack (Updated)

I know similar threads are around similar to this but I'm hoping for updated/specific answers.

I've done quite a bit of research thus far.
I know I want a ~4000ci bag and would prefer a system where I can easily purchase and swap out bags in the future.
When I mention reviews I'm talking about not only on manufacturer websites, but also multiple forums.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf:
+ cheapest of the 3
+ good reviews throughout the interwebs
+ roll top/stuff
- a little heavier
- lack of built-in organization
- side zipper access
- not as many options for bag only

Kuiu Pro LT 4000:
+ lightest of the 3
+ bag only options are cheap
+ horseshoe zipper on main pocket
+ many bag options
+ external zip and stuff pocket
+ internal pocket
+ comes with hip pockets
- smallest of the 3
- no lid or option to add
- mixed reviews (maybe these problems have been fixed with the new frame?)

Exo K3 4800:
+ waterproof hydration bladder sleeve
+ good bag options
+ horseshoe zipper
+ roll top/stuff
+ external zip and stuff pocket
+ great reviews
- the only negative i have is price

I'm leaning towards the Kuiu. It's not too expensive and there are many bag options. I also like the outside pockets. However I've read multiple times about frame failures. That makes me very hesitant.
Maybe this has been fixed lately?

I really like the Exo, but I have a lot of gear to purchase still and do not want to eat up my budget.

Metcalf seems to be the safe option, but ill be giving up multiple features.

Please give me any and all feedback you have, positive or negative.
Go with MR, kifaru, Exo, SG, or Seek Outside. Avoid packs made by clothing makers.

Go with MR, kifaru, Exo, SG, or Seek Outside. Avoid packs made by clothing makers.
Agree with this. I currently use a Metcalf and I have had no issues with it. I've carried up to 100 lbs and it has not let me down. What ever pack you do choose make sure the frame is made from a quality material. Mystery ranch uses carbon fiber, exo titanium and so on. The ILBE pack frame we used in the Marines were made of plastic and I had more than one snap and the plastic was digging in my back the rest of the hike.

Agree with this. I currently use a Metcalf and I have had no issues with it. I've carried up to 100 lbs and it has not let me down. What ever pack you do choose make sure the frame is made from a quality material. Mystery ranch uses carbon fiber, exo titanium and so on. The ILBE pack frame we used in the Marines were made of plastic and I had more than one snap and the plastic was digging in my back the rest of the hike.
Army frames where plastic as well... that is why 'military grade' means nothing to me haha

I don't know who in their right mind would think a frame for a pack should be plastic but it would be cost savings. I don't know how many times they would want us to carry a heavy pack with those packs. After using the ILBE pack with regular Marine Corps issue, my unit actually issued us a Mystery Ranch assault bag and another bigger bag through the unit CIF that was a night and day difference between the ILBE. This is how I go exposed to MR.

The bigger the pack the more useless stuff you’ll fill it with. Unless you’re doing multi day backpack hunts get the metcalf.
I ended up going with the Beartooth for the just in case. I do plan on 3-5 day backpacking trips. It's a discipline thing to try and keep your load light so I just have to pay attention to the minimalist side of things lol.

Maybe this has already been said but given so much of what we buy as American's is made overseas why wouldn't you buy a backpack made in the USA when some of the best options are just that? Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and then EXO, all of which are designed by hunters. Mystery Ranch makes a sturdy pack but it's made overseas and last I checked almost no one in the MR offices were hunters or if they were they weren't very avid or experienced.

Kifaru will give a mil/fire/leo discount as well. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a kifaru.

I'd order another couple if I were you. I have been boot shopping as of late. I started out looking at two brands. I am now down to two final choices, neither of which where the two brands I started out focusing on.

When you really take a hard look and wear stuff for a bit, it's amazing the subtle differences you'll notice.

M
Well I just ordered a Solo and Exo.

I'm excited about getting hands-on with both.
Make sure to test fit with weight and little distance. Much like boots just because fells good in scheels showroom doesnt mean after 5 mountain miles there going feel that way. Me i would leave tags on and carry water weight and bulk bullets and do a couple miles, then pay attention to any aches/sore spots etc then next day do same lap with same weight to make fair compare. I also try to figure out place for spotter, rifle and pistol etc to see what you like better. I had a eberlestock that was incredible hunt pack that fit great but with a load the shoulder staps sucked, after about 3elk that got sold! Bet your already trying to track shipment...lol. congrats

M

Make sure to test fit with weight and little distance. Much like boots just because fells good in scheels showroom doesnt mean after 5 mountain miles there going feel that way. Me i would leave tags on and carry water weight and bulk bullets and do a couple miles, then pay attention to any aches/sore spots etc then next day do same lap with same weight to make fair compare. I also try to figure out place for spotter, rifle and pistol etc to see what you like better. I had a eberlestock that was incredible hunt pack that fit great but with a load the shoulder staps sucked, after about 3elk that got sold! Bet your already trying to track shipment...lol. congrats
I plan to put a taped up sand bag in both and walk ~1mile

Well I have both packs in possession and two sandbags at 34lb and 47lb

Tomorrow I will test each pack with 34lb and then 81lb.
Planning atleast 1 mile with the heavier weight and around 1/2 mile with the lower.

First thoughts -
- Weight is similar, but the SG will weigh more once a lid and access bag is added to make cubic inches comparable
- I like the pocket designs on the Exo. Don't care for the spotting scope pocket being inside on the Solo. Also, no water bottle pocket built into the Solo
- Empty the Xcurve frame is slightly more comfortable than the K3. We'll see if this changes once weight is added.
- Waterproof pocket for bladder is ingenious on the Exo

Thus far the Exo is edging out the SG, but I am attempting to not pick a favorite until I have time in with weight.

If you do not like the spotter inside the pack, you really should check out Seek Outside's Peregrine. That's one of the bigger reasons I bought mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back