Help Me Choose My First Pack (Updated)

WestKyHunt

I know similar threads are around similar to this but I'm hoping for updated/specific answers.

I've done quite a bit of research thus far.
I know I want a ~4000ci bag and would prefer a system where I can easily purchase and swap out bags in the future.
When I mention reviews I'm talking about not only on manufacturer websites, but also multiple forums.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf:
+ cheapest of the 3
+ good reviews throughout the interwebs
+ roll top/stuff
- a little heavier
- lack of built-in organization
- side zipper access
- not as many options for bag only

Kuiu Pro LT 4000:
+ lightest of the 3
+ bag only options are cheap
+ horseshoe zipper on main pocket
+ many bag options
+ external zip and stuff pocket
+ internal pocket
+ comes with hip pockets
- smallest of the 3
- no lid or option to add
- mixed reviews (maybe these problems have been fixed with the new frame?)

Exo K3 4800:
+ waterproof hydration bladder sleeve
+ good bag options
+ horseshoe zipper
+ roll top/stuff
+ external zip and stuff pocket
+ great reviews
- the only negative i have is price

I'm leaning towards the Kuiu. It's not too expensive and there are many bag options. I also like the outside pockets. However I've read multiple times about frame failures. That makes me very hesitant.
Maybe this has been fixed lately?

I really like the Exo, but I have a lot of gear to purchase still and do not want to eat up my budget.

Metcalf seems to be the safe option, but ill be giving up multiple features.

Please give me any and all feedback you have, positive or negative.

I don’t have any experience with Kuiu packs. I’ve used Mystery Ranch a lot, my buddy has an Exo. They’re both great packs.

Kuiu, owned seversl MRs and went back to kuiu. I use a 3200 and 6k bags. Just works better for me: weight difference was noticeable and i liked the way i carry my shouldered rifle with kuiu way better and i have to carry a pistol. MRs didnt have much for holstering on waist belt at time(not sure if thats different now). Try all 3 return 2 you dont like as much, we are all different...

I’ve carried many packs over the years including the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. I now carry the Seek Outside revolution frame and have a couple of different sized bags for it. Best pack I’ve ever used. It is also made here in Colorado.

I have the Kuiu 5200 Icon Pro and like it a lot. If you’re planning on doing any mid-season back country camping hunts, I would personally go bigger. The 5200 can be made pretty small (youtube Kuiu 5200 Icon Pro in Daypack Mode). They have big sales several times a year (usually fathers day, labor day, black friday), where you can get 15-40% off.
Haven’t tried any of the others, but doubt you can go wrong.

If you base a pack decision on saving 50 bucks and having a belt pouch, that maybe isn’t the best approach.

I used a Metcalf with the lid for a long time. Great pack. Never used the others.

I’d tell your wife you plan to order all three, load them up and try them. You’re returning two of the three, so what’s the big deal? That’s cheaper than buying a pack and thinking you’re committed to it, decide you don’t like it but didn’t know any better at the time of purchase, and now you’re selling a used pack and buying a new one.

I used to use a cheap Cabela’s pack and then bought a metcalf, and it was a game changer. I love the pack. Don’t have any experience with the other two brands though.

I’ve owned a Kuiu and a Kifaru (Reckoning). My comparison is below. Note: I bought my Kuiu Icon 7200 in 2015-16, so I assume they have made some substantive changes to pack design which may have improved its performance. But the bottom line is: you get what you pay for.

Post in thread 'Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.'
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/wh...ek-mystery-ranch-kuiu-etc.290968/post-3128659

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back