Hello from the Gulf Coast

Samwise

Hello, I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and have been wanting to get into western hunting for a few years now. The first year I missed all the dead lines for trying to draw a tag. I was hoping to hunt prong horn that year in Wyoming. Then thought OTC tag for Elk but then realized the lack of needed gear I had. Last year started accumulating points and gear and started the plans for a Montana bear hunt this May. I'm in my 30s and have been hunting since I was young. I mainly hunt ducks then white tail and have been pursuing turkeys here and there with no luck. I'm looking forward to many hunts and many conversations.

Hello, I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and have been wanting to get into western hunting for a few years now. The first year I missed all the dead lines for trying to draw a tag. I was hoping to hunt prong horn that year in Wyoming. Then thought OTC tag for Elk but then realized the lack of needed gear I had. Last year started accumulating points and gear and started the plans for a Montana bear hunt this May. I'm in my 30s and have been hunting since I was young. I mainly hunt ducks then white tail and have been pursuing turkeys here and there with no luck. I'm looking forward to many hunts and many conversations.
Go west and give mule deer hunting a try, you will love the experience!

Welcome! Start practicing 200 and 300 yard shots. Don't worry about "long range" but compared to Gulf Coast whitetail, a 300 yard shot is common and not that difficult if you know your ballistics, have a good scope, and practice shooting in the wind. I haven't hunted pronghorn yet but the gear shouldn't be near as much as backcountry elk (which I have hunted). You can rent a spotting scope for a one week hunt and better off than buying if you aren't using it regularly. Put your initial optics money in a solid scope and binos.

Welcome from Utah. Wyoming antelope is one of my favorite hunts. My kids and I go for doe every year and manage to draw a buck tag every three years or so. Used to be more often but point creep is making it a bit more difficult. PM me if you want some ideas on good units.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back