Hello from Idaho

NickOnTheRun

Hi Guys! I've been reading these forums for a long time and decided to join recently. I'm new to Idaho and I've made a couple of attempts at Chukar hunting this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm based in the Boise area and I've tried the Owhyee's. Mostly Silver City road and Little Jack's Creek area. I'm new to Upland hunting so it may just be me. We've found some huns, and some quail but no chukars yet.

You guys have the best advice and information anywhere on the web. I'm glad to finally join the discussion.

-Nick

Welcome to the site.

I'd focus on the rimrock to find chukar. You march up one side of the mountain to the rimrock and then the chukar make that laughing sound as they fly down the other side, dropping out of line of sight just as you're leveling your aim. Ugh! I'm not familiar with your area but used to have quite a bit of luck around Denio, NV on the Oregon border. Stay in good habitat and figure an average rate of return of maybe a flush per two miles. The more ground you cover the better you'll do. I'm assuming you've got a pointing dog.

Nevada conducts annual chukar surveys which were helpful in finding general areas holding chukar. They might have something similar in Idaho. Good luck!

Try to use the wind to your advantage where your dog is downwind from the best looking stuff. Chukar must have more scent than other birds because I don't know how many times my dog wind scented a trailing point for close to 1/2 mile, never putting her nose to the ground. I'd consider the ground covered if I was within 1/4 mile or so with the wind blowing towards my dog.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back