Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hello from Colorado

drno32

Hello all, my name is Ryan and at 33, this is only my 2nd year of big game hunting... better later than never I suppose. An Army veteran of 13 years II decided to settle down in Colorado. The Mrs is right there with me getting into big game as well. I have successfully hunted turkey, waterfowl, and other small game for a while. Last year was my first big game hunt and was fortunate enough to take a nice sized pronghorn buck thanks to OnXmaps. This year I drew a mule tag that covers units 18, 28, 37, & 371. The Mrs will carry an elk OTC with her for the same dates. We're not looking for trophies, just filling the freezer but wouldn't pass up the opportunity to put something up on the wall (the pronghorn went up last month). I'll grab an elk OTC tag as well, not sure where I'll go but I have a few units in mind already.

We scouted the terrain layout of our units last week and came across two large moose. So maybe I see those again by the time I draw around retirement unless you folks get there before I do. I'm building preference points for bighorn, mountain goat, and moose. I understand the point system but the weighted system still has me a little confused. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, I plan to stay active on here learning as much as possible and sharing any knowledge I pick up along the way.

Lastly, after field dressing last year's pronghorn I had the butcher do his work. That will never happen again, all future meat will be cut up at home. So I'm reading into the steaks, roasts, burger, and sausage details.

Welcome. Most importantly, thanks for your service.

Hope you get a lot more butchering practice this season.

Back