Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Heel Blister Help

Dieseldog

Bought a pair on Kennetrek Mt Hunters last winter. Wore them this summer and fall to break them in. Feel great. No problems on flat, downhill or mild climbs. The 3rd day of my hunt we started doing some pretty steep climbs and both my heels got blistered up bad. Any ideas what to do other than gorilla tape on the heels or try different footbed inserts? Size is correct i feel. Maybe a half size down would work but don't wanna buy another pair just yet.

I have bony heels & I would get blisters in crocs I swear. I just gave up & put moleskin as a base layer, then duct tape. Haven’t had blisters with that combo.

If a half size down is truly a better size, you're unlikely to be able to cheat and get away with a pair a half size too big. I'd save the current boots for less demanding terrain and buy the right size if that is the issue. I've ripped out the heel cups on my last 2 pairs of boots, but I'd cringe doing that on a pair of Kennetreks

I bought a used pair of Mtn Extremes this year, felt good till first time on mountain, got hot spots but not an all day hunt so didn't blister. Next time out I used gel heel pads and they worked great, boots felt awesome all day.

Change the way you lace your boots. Google heel lock or I think Randy did a video with Kenetrek.

Experiment and you'll probably find a technique that cures it. I tried a few until I got the one that kept my heels locked in. Makes a HUGE difference.

I struggled with blisters and I always thought sock liners were kind of hokey until I tried them. Wow, you talk about a cure all. I will never hike without them again.

I also use sock liners, used the Injinji liners for the first time this year, kind of a pain to put on but plan on buying a couple more for next year.

I have bony feet and blister easily. I bought some nice Irish Setter boots many years ago and had the same experience as you. The boots were stiff in the heel and work great on flatter ground but climbing hills and mountains they gave blisters, just like all of the other boots I've ever owned.

A few years later I picked up a different pair of Irish Setters as part of a payment for an article I wrote. I gave my size and they came in a little loose fitting. They fit my feet looser and I tend to wear heavier socks (they are un-insulated) with them. They have never given blisters.

You may need to get different boots. Also, try visiting a "Good Feet Store" or place that specializes in making shoes comfortable.

As others mentioned, try a liner sock. The friction goes between your liner sock and outer sock. Eliminates the friction on your heel.

Also, kinda strange you started getting blisters 3 days into your hunt after using them quite a bit before hand it sounds like. Think to your self what is different than before? Have you used them 3 days in a row before and not gotten blisters? Using different socks or different lace up than before? Just a couple of things to think about.

The stiff soled boots are going to be hard on heels on continuous steep uphill climbs. That's just the way they are built. The stiff sole isn't bending and you are essentially on your toes with your heel in the air.

I do wear liner socks and still used to have blister problems but either my feet have gotten tougher or my boots are broken in or something because I haven't gotten a blister in a while. One thing I do really work on is making sure I have dry feet as much as possible. I will take my boots off and let things dry out on a lunch break and if my feet are sweating really bad I will swap out socks at the same time.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

I had a similar instance with a new pair of boots this year. Tried several things insoles, different lace techniques, etc.. no luck. Ive never had that problem before. I used Leukotape at first very successfully, but it was a pain to need to apply every time i wore the boots. Great option for week long hunts however.
I found this sock on another thread - injinji 2.0 Run Mens Lightweight Toe Sock. I use it as a liner and have had no issues. Highly suggest. About $12 on Amazon.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back