Haul Road Caribou

glass eye

My truck hasn't given me any mechanical problems but it has a lot of miles on it, over 190,000. I was thinking of doing the haul road when I buy a new truck in about 3 years from now. However, I bought my wife a new Honda CRV in 16 and since then I've been using it over my F150 for long trips and hunts that don't require off-roading. We always camp very Spartan like, backpacking gear in a car doesn't take up much space. The Honda is cheap on gas and we could plan for next year rather than 3 years out. Question; How bad is the haul road in Aug/Sep ? Could a small car do it ? From the videos I've seen it doesn't look too bad.

20161118_065710.jpg

So ive been planning this trip for a couple years now, and my parents drove it last year. Its no joke. Most rental agencies wont let you take one down it. They didntnhave tire issues, but had serious tires. They also took extra gas, just in case. The real issue was the industry teucls running. Throwing up rocks and whatnot. I would not take something with the low clearance. If you got into a situation, i would like to have the options that a truck would give me.

No way in H*** I'd take a CRV on the Haul. The road is a different grade of mess each mile depending on the big rig traffic & recent rain/snow ect. We took a Suburban, blew 2 tires and cracked the windshield. That being said its a pretty awesome adventure, and Atigun Pass alone is worth doing the trip. There's a reason all the car rental places specifically prohibit the Haul Road. I'd be happy to help with tips, tricks, & lessons learned ect when it comes to that trip if ya want when the time comes. I might be picking your brain on your Hawaii information for a trip around the same timeframe! - Derek-

My parents did it last year in a CRV with no issue. Road tripped up, around for a month, then back. They're going back to try to Dempsy hwy this summer.

I drove to Coldfoot years ago in a rented jeep and had no major issues. That time of year you would probably be ok. I went in early August and passed a car along the way. (For the record, I wouldn't take a car on that road!) If it were me, i would take at least 2 full size spare tires and 2 or 3 five gallon gas cans. Plan on getting your windshield cracked.

Cracked and broken windows are a real possibility. Park off the road if possible. Just parked on the side of the road flying Rocks can bust rear windows, seen it firsthand. Rain can make it muddy and sloppy, awd would be a plus. But all in all a CRV should be fine. Bring an extra gas can as a safety measure. Daily hunting looking for the migration can use up a lot of gas.

A CRV ought to be fine with that time of year with appropriate tires and spare(s). I did an August haul road caribou hunt and saw small SUV’s, adventure motorcycles, one Harley Ultra Classic, and a bicycle that all made it to Deadhorse (and I presume back). Watching the weather will be important as you get later into September. One thing I can’t stress enough is to treat the truckers with respect and they will do the same for you. Slow down and pull toward shoulder when passing oncoming trucks, let faster vehicles around, and certainly don’t park on the road without allowing lots of room for others to pass easily, etc.

We did it several years ago in a rented dodge Durango. No issues at all just take your time and yield the road to those truckers and be courteous to them.
We drove it to happy valley for a fly out hunt. One of the best hunts I've ever done I think. Awesome place. If you go a few months ahead of time jump over on the Alaskan hunting forum they usually have an ongoing thread yearly on road conditions up there. They can change quickly we had great weather the first week of September.

Ability to fix tires, if required. Spare fuel.
A long dirt road with very few services.
google Dalton Highway or Haul road alaska. Lots of images

Plenty of people do it, in rather unsuitable vehicles, and are fine. I’ve seen a Geo Metro....Plenty of people do it, in more than acceptable vehicles, and have horrible experiences.

A couple of years ago, we met a group that had driven from the southernmost tip of Argentina to Prudhoe Bay and were on their way back down. Absolutely no issues until they got through Atigun Pass headed north. We met them about 150 miles south of Prudhoe after they made their turn...they were already down two spares, were in need of a third, and they had no windshield left— workers from an oil field had given them hardhats and goggles...

Expect the first “major” snow on the North Slope during the middle/second half of August...this and/or rain will make things messy. Summer conditions factor in as well, you’ll find better conditions after a drier summer (which is happening more frequently).

Everyone SHOULD rent a CB radio if your vehicle is not equipped. Most (not all) truckers are much more courteous to those that have and use them properly, and at a minimum you can pick up some good intel along the way from chatter, etc.

If it’s an option for you, and the truck is reliable, I would consider keeping the old truck for the trip. I wouldn’t want to take my new truck. I wouldn’t want to risk a dog house trip after using my wife’s CRV. It may be more pleasurable than trying to keep your interior clean and dry, if that’s important to you, because that’s not going to happen. That’s not even speaking to what can, and very may will, happen on the outside...as mentioned above and by others.

Also, roll up your windows if a truck is coming at you or passing...not even a little crack. Have seen two bad incidents of rocks getting inside a truck cab (once through a two inch crack).

Put a cargo rack on the top of that thing and carry an extra spare or two and some gas cans on the roof. Then go have fun.

I've done it 4-5 times, all in a little toyota Tacoma that looks a lot like the one in the background of the picture jryoung posted. I never had any issues, no flats, didn't run out of fuel, and don't even recall a chipped window.

Plenty of people do it, in rather unsuitable vehicles, and are fine. I’ve seen a Geo Metro....Plenty of people do it, in more than acceptable vehicles, and have horrible experiences.

If it’s an option for you, and the truck is reliable, I would consider keeping the old truck for the trip. I wouldn’t want to take my new truck. I wouldn’t want to risk a dog house trip after using my wife’s CRV. It may be more pleasurable than trying to keep your interior clean and dry, if that’s important to you, because that’s not going to happen. That’s not even speaking to what can, and very may will, happen on the outside...as mentioned above and by others.

I've never been on the haul road, but this was my first thought upon reading the original post. I've heard of several people that have taken near or nearly new vehicles that come out on the other side never to be quite the same again for one reason or the other. Taking a used vehicle up there that is reasonably reliable that I wouldn't mind a few dents or cracks from flying rocks, jarring potholes, etc. Depending on the time of the year I've read that the road grime if allowed to dry can become near impossible to get completely off your vehicle. Most of the stuff I've read is folks riding adventure bikes on it and the general consensus on that is that you don't want to take a new bike up there.

I'd do that road in Prius, not sure what the hype about it is?

It is a long gravely road with some bumps here and there, easy peasy. Some of you must be afraid to drive across town to the super market.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back