Caribou Gear

Handheld GPS

IAhawks84

Hey everyone, I'm going to invest is a handheld GPS before the hunting season. From reviews I've read, Garmin is the way to go, does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

It depends on how fancy that you want to get. I have a Dakota 20, that I bought as a refurb several years ago. It is small and handy and also takes the Onx chips. Some don't like the screen, size etc., etc., but it has served me well on numerous trips into the mountains and elsewhere. Bells and whistles can get expensive.

I run the GSPMAP64st and have been very happy with it. They make a newer model that incorporates the InReach technology, I think its the GPSMAP66i.

I like the Garmins and have used several models for work and hunting. Currently I have a 655t that I use as a back up or for the two way radio when Chukar hunting. I carry as a back up on long hunts because if you are only interested in GPS and/or use with OnX maps a cell phone is far superior.

I have a Garmin Montana model and it’s a great GPS, but now I find myself only carry it for backup. I use my phone with onX 99% of the time, seeing the areal/topo maps and ease of use it’s hard to beat.

Back