Haaland nominated to lead Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty cool that she is Native American. I don't see a ton of experience with natural resources prior to her election to the House, which was only a few years ago, so not sure how that will play out in her decisions. I doubt she will be in favor of delisting grizzlies, although she may surprise me.

about as far away from the current COVID+ inhabitant of that office.

No idea how she'd be.

It appears she has zero experience, but we’ll see what happens. I’m hoping she does well. We already have a director of the fish and wildlife service whose only qualifications are being married to a lobbyist. So i guess qualifications are not necessary.

Last edited:
I don’t know much about her. Just a quick Google shows she was born in Winslow AZ.
She is an anti gun attorney and has represented NM’s 1st district which is the state’s most urban district of ABQ since the 2018 election.

She is 60 years old and a member of the Laguna Pueblo tribe.

I did not verify her pronouns before call her ‘she’ so if I have erred, don’t cancel me.

Winslow, Arizona: such a fine sight to see........The Eagles

On paper not a great choice but who knows. Lots of cabinet spots turn out to be good that initially were a head scratcher. I don't see her as a huge supporter of hunting.

I don't see her as a huge supporter of hunting.
We shall see...
"Washington, D.C. – Wednesday, Congresswoman Deb Haaland (NM-01) spoke to the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP), which is comprised of 61 hunting, fishing, outdoor recreation, and conservation organizations during their December meeting. During the meeting, Haaland shared her top conservation priorities for the end of the 116th Congress and the 117thCongress, addressed the urgency to combat climate change, and her discussed the role of her background as a Pueblo woman in ensuring outdoor spaces, hunting traditions, and outdoor recreation are protected for future generations." full remarks

"Then there’s Haaland’s heritage—a 35th generation New Mexican—which may give her the edge over her fellow New Mexicans."

AHHHHHHHAAAHAHAHA... hey ranchers suck it...

I would expect that natives will be given a firm (preferencial?) voice in any/all land dealings. Potentially huge implications in Alaska and elsewhere in the west for hunting. I would expect oil/gas and mineral extraction to get a lot more expensive and reduced on public lands.

I would expect predator hunting on public lands to be reduced and potentially eliminate in some areas. Likely all refuges and preserves where they are open for hunting. ~1/4 of Alaska...

I'm not sure it really matters who is at the helm, there will be a lot of changes coming down the pipe.

"Then there’s Haaland’s heritage—a 35th generation New Mexican—which may give her the edge over her fellow New Mexicans."

AHHHHHHHAAAHAHAHA... hey ranchers suck it...
Where did she come from before then? That's like 1000 years ago. Impressive she can trace her heritage that far. Wonder how many others can do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back