Guiding a friend in CO unit 76

Timvz26

Hello everyone, my friend got a muzzy tag in CO unit 76, he is a good hunter, just worried about his physical shape as 76 looks like a steep unit. I am going to guide/call for him and I feel like I can handle the steepness but don’t want to get there and not be able to go high. My question is has anyone hunted the area just south of Creede along the deep creek trail or Snowshoe mountian? Or any other suggestions that can be day hunts or low elevation gain hunts? Not interested in doing the guide/drop camp thing. We might end up going high and spike camping otherwise too for a few days. Thanks!

Your friend cashed in a ton of points, assuming he's a NR. Are you guys planning on a scouting trip? If not, I'd consider a guide

He is a resident. Want to do it on our own, no guide. Not able to scout as of now hence the question on here.

You don't necessarily need to go high up to find elk in 76, but it is a steep unit. I'd recommend a scouting trip if you've never been there, if you guys are residents it's possible to take as little as 2-3 days to check out some areas. It also wouldn't hurt for your buddy to spend the next 10 weeks getting into shape if conditioning is a concern, he did burn a bunch of points to hunt there after all and there's lots of fun to be had...

I have spent a lot of time in that unit. Deep Creek trail is not where I would hunt. The very top of Snowshoe and down the side ridges are not really a bad choice. I often see elk high on the North slopes of Snowshoe, but I have seen many more on the other side. The South side of Snowshoe can be a nice spot but you will definitely have your work cut out for you in getting a dead elk back up to the top. If I had that tag I would rather hunt much further back into the unit. Bristol, Wason Park, or the far side of the Rio Grande reservoir are all spots that I would consider as better than Snowshoe.

You’re the unpaid guide, caller and perhaps meat jumper so I’d make it clear to your bud that we’re hunting where I say we are. I’d totally rely on your judgement for the best opportunity and be extremely grateful for it. Good luck! 👍🍀

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back