Groups say they’ll sue over selenium levels

Ithaca 37

More mining disasters!

"SODA SPRINGS — After the deaths of hundreds of sheep and a number of horses, the warning that children should limit the fish they eat from East Mill Creek prompted environmentalists to threaten legal action over selenium levels in southeastern Idaho.
The Greater Yellowstone Coalition, Idaho Conservation League and Advocates for the West notified the Forest Service and two mining companies this week that they intend to sue before year´s end for violations of the federal Clean Water Act.

In filing the 60-day notice, required before suing, the groups claimed federal regulations on the region´s phosphate mining operations fail to meet standards set by the law.

“They have been dragging their feet for way too long and it is time to clean up the mess,” coalition spokesman Marv Hoyt said."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Story.asp?ID=48959

So what's new????
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If it's as bad as they say, then why not just put a fence around the toxic waste dump, kick every one out and close it off to any one but the scientists studing the area!!!

Well,
There is something that I finally get to add to S.I.

I grew up in Soda Springs and My father works for J.R. Simplot as did my Grandfather.
My Dad was one of the guys that had to bury the dead sheep after they died on the property.
The sheep died because they ate a plant called Gum Weed that when it grows in a certain area of the property it concentrates the selinium durring a certain stage of the growth period and then goes to seed and dies. After it dies the sheep can eat it with no ill effects. (Native animal seem to be immune to the selinium concentrations.)
The first time that they noticed this occurance was in 1982 when it happened for the first time, but weren't sure as to the cause. My Uncle, who was employed by Simplot durring the Summer as a Weed sprayer at the time, was blamed for the first incident. But was quickly cleared.

As to containing the problem? Simplot and the others are Required to reclaim the areas that are mined, by recontouring the land, filling in the open pits, plant the land with plants that speed up soil building process (ie: Alfalfa is being currently used) and try to return the land to a "natural" state.
I understand that once a area is mined, it will never be the same, but selinium is a naturally ocurring mineral in the soil and rock of the area, how can that be "totally contained"? And now that the cause of the death of the sheep has been found, that can be avoided by keeping them off the land, or that part of the property until the plant has gone through it's life cycle. But does any one have any Ideas about containment other than kicking everyone off and putting up a fence?
I also grew up hunting the property, It's a great place! Lots of deer and Elk and other wildlife. I saw my first Mountain Lion while hunting last year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not stating these things just cause my family works for these companies, I do think that they, the companies, could improve the way they do business and manage the enviroment. But there has to be a way to fix the problem and repair the damage and still be able to obtain the Phosphate that is needed.

FYI: Simplot makes agricultural fertilizer as does Agrium. Monsanto produces elemental Phosphate used to make Round Up, Phosporic Acid (Like what is found in Cola drinks, and has other uses) and used in military applications. The mining for these companies is contracted out to other companies with the exception of Simplot that does it's own. Agrim sub contracts to Conda Mining & Monsanto to Dravo Mining. FMC in Pocatello was shut down due to EPA infractions after a deadline was reached and the had not complied, They did their own mining also.

Hope this helps understand whats going on over there.
Dano

Keep posting DANO, and don't let these guys get to you either. Many of them don't care if the selenium has an environmental presence, or even if thereis no "clean" way to take care of the problem YET. They just want something to whine about.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back