Caribou Gear Tarp

Grizzly Attacks in 2020 at Record High

WyoDoug

I think the record grizzly attack numbers are due to three things: (1) Grizzlies are expanding territory out of their normal range, 2) human population is growing closer to bear territory and (3) tourists in ever growing numbers are getting far too close to them.

What is interesting about the graph … is that most of the encounters happen after July 1. With an high number prior to July 1, this year, and hunting season(s) coming … oh boy. Be careful and smart while out hunting.

It seems your always seeing a story of some dumb tourist who thinks it’s smart to walk up to bears and bison
Yup. Last summer we had a black bear in Lyons Park in Cheyenne and some asian tourists were getting close to 25 feet from it and turning their backs to it to get selfies and/or someone else taking pics of them with the bear. Lucky for them that bear was scared and trying to just get away from so many people.

Regarding biking and trail running, the article included “I think there are a lot of places where we shouldn’t be encouraging those kinds of uses,” Primm said. “But I hope people recognize that if they are going to do something like that in grizzly bear habitat, it’s inherently risky and there are places where what they ought to be doing is slowing way down and making noise.”

I agree with the second part of that statement but not the first. Government should not be worried about encouraging or discouraging anything, its up to the bikers and runners (just like it is up to the hunters) to make up their own minds. I find it interesting that most injuries seem to be locals who are likely very aware of the risk, and not unsuspecting easterners who blindly stumbled into it. Almost universally, the local’s statements are down to earth and reasonable and never seem to blame the bear. If it was happening to Washington DC lawyers, these bears would probably be delisted within the year and the government sued for allowing these vicious animals to run amok!

That said, it bear densities are so high, and range so broad, perhaps these kind of statistics are what will finally allow return of management to the states. Gets more interesting to watch every year....

Closest encounter I had is when a black bear tried to attack my jeep when I drove up by Estes Park. It bounced off the side of my jeep and I kept going. I think some of the other tourists in the area had agitated it. I have no intention of enduring a Rinella episode.

I don't think it has as much to do with bear density as it does the amount of people using the woods these days and also the habitat conditions from year to year.

Last year was pretty wet with late snow and for the most part very green all summer and even into early fall. When I was hunting sheep last year, it was apparent that the grizzlies were pretty spread out because of the green...still lots of them around no doubt. They stayed high, stayed away from the lower elevations and that means less trouble.

This year is the opposite very dry and bears are going to congregate in the green...creek bottoms, etc. Combine that with more people trying to get outdoors due to covid...you have a lot more potential for conflict.

All I know, is for the number of bears in the Cody area, both black bears and grizzlies, and as much human activity as there is...I'm shocked more people aren't mauled every year.

By and large, both the bears and the people do things right a majority of the time.

I think the record grizzly attack numbers are due to three things: (1) Grizzlies are expanding territory out of their normal range, 2) human population is growing closer to bear territory and (3) tourists in ever growing numbers are getting far too close to them.

You left the most important reason for more attacks. The human population is getting stupider every day.

It's #3 and the advent of social media and more dumb people in the woods, #1 and #2 are not 'new' contributing factors...

It's #3 and the advent of social media and more dumb people in the woods, #1 and #2 are not 'new' contributing factors...
Most of these attacks have been locals, except for the woman from Missouri in the park. Buzz is absolutely right about the number of bears in the Cody area... Lots of both kinds of bears.

While I support State management of the grizzly, I don’t really think it will change much. We have a spring or fall season every year and we still see grizz every day. Even in areas they are hunted by the likes of Phil Shoemaker they remain completely unpredictable as to avoiding human contact.
Incorporating hunting actually may serve to eliminate a few bears that really don’t care if you’re a human.
my guess is that due to COVID restrictions on just about everything more people are simply getting outside hiking, biking, fishing, camping. Most of my suppliers are having great years with record sales. Can’t go bowling, I’ll take up fly fishing kind of thing.
Increased numbers increase conflict. I found this group heading for my dock, hosed them with the jet pump, they ran like hell, then they waited until midnight to come in, little bastids.

Attachments

• 5197C1A1-DC29-4127-AA53-5E4C4690FC93.jpeg
    5197C1A1-DC29-4127-AA53-5E4C4690FC93.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 01997BDA-E9D3-4E56-B1B1-911EA4ED8828.jpeg
    01997BDA-E9D3-4E56-B1B1-911EA4ED8828.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 30
Grizzlies are interesting. I have no doubt the area I hunted last year has better hunting for me because of the possibility of grizzles being around. The elk herd there keeps growing and harvest hasn't kept the herd where the agency wants it to be despite having a liberal season structure. Part of the reason for the lack of harvest is gnarly terrain, but that's in addition to fear of grizzlies keeping people away.

I'll take the good that comes with the added risk. We didn't see any Grizzlies last year, just one tank of a black bear that I would've loved to go after if I wasn't already packing out an elk.

I kinda like the silver backs gradually moving into my area. Because so many orange hats have a fear of them, it might be fewer in my area and more area I can hunt without being crowded out or having to strategize around the road hunters.

From the article, "A wildlife biologist, out researching sage grouse at Montana’s Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge, was seriously bitten by a charging grizzly despite deploying bear spray".
Anyone have more details on this? Would love to know if that biologist actually hit the bear with the spray and if so where? I always wonder about the actual effectiveness of spray, the available data is really quite limited.
Agree with others though, I also rather hunt areas that have grizzlies. Even so, they still get plenty crowded during gun season...can only imagine that the grizzly free areas are even worse in terms of hunting pressure.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back