Caribou Gear Tarp

GPS help

jtayclay

I use OnX on my iPhone X, but because of battery drain and loss signal(which I usually download enough map before)—ready for a Garmin... I’m a Texan (and yes... do most hunting not on public land. Forgive me. Haha), but doing some backpacking the last couple weeks In Wyoming and Bozeman area has really discouraged me from using my phone anymore.
I have been looking at the Garmin 64st, Oregon 750t, Montana 610t, and the 680t. Any thoughts?

I hunt and backpack in Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana mostly if that helps with advice.
Hopefully this was the correct area to post this question.

-J

I use OnX on my iPhone X, but because of battery drain and loss signal(which I usually download enough map before)—ready for a Garmin... I’m a Texan (and yes... do most hunting not on public land. Forgive me. Haha), but doing some backpacking the last couple weeks In Wyoming and Bozeman area has really discouraged me from using my phone anymore.
I have been looking at the Garmin 64st, Oregon 750t, Montana 610t, and the 680t. Any thoughts?

I hunt and backpack in Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana mostly if that helps with advice.

-J
I use the Montana 600 series. It has a larger screen to allow more map information to be available to my aging eye sight.

Put your phone on airplane mode. The battery dies because your phone is searching for service. I also bring a battery pack to charge my phone. Don't leave your screen on. I will shut my screen so I don't burn my battery life. You can make your screen dimmer that will also save battery life.

-J
Is this a repeat of your earlier thread? I sent you a PM; did you read it?

The bigger ones are fine but I use an etrex 30 even for my work. It gives me all of the data with help of the a chip while fitting in my shirt pocket. I change the batteries twice a year.

An Anker extended USB battery pack is a cheap solution to continue using your cell phone for many hours. Also, getting your cell phone settings right makes a huge difference in battery burn.

I use GPS function in some form nearly every day of the year. I do use OnX fairly frequently but also carry a Garmin GPS. I use both about the same amount. I've been a big fan of the 60 series and currently use a 64s. Will be picking up a 66i here very soon.

Back