PEAX Equipment

Got my first ID Bear!

Jim G

I have posted a couple of other threads regarding my expeiences of hunting bears this year, and finally last thursday, after 4 separate 600 mile (round trip) drives to set bait, I was able to harvest my first Id bear. I sat a the bait for about an hour and had a black sow with a white patch on her chest with a black cub and a brown cub come in. They ate a little and then left. About 30 minutes later, here this guy comes. I thought it was the sow but there was no white patch on his chest. I let him have it. I was super excited to have all the effort spent and gas burned to pay off. Since this is my first bear, I don't know if he is big or small. Seems to me he is probably average. After he was skinned, he measured 67" from nose to tail. When the F & G officer checked him, he said he was one of the bigger bears he had checked this year, maybe he just says that to everyone. My two oldest boys were more excited than me when I finally brought a bear home. Here is a few pics, and thanks for giving me a place to share.

View attachment 3413

View attachment 3414

View attachment 3415

View attachment 3416

Attachments

• PICT1995.JPG
    PICT1995.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 226
  • PICT2000.JPG
    PICT2000.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 212
  • PICT2001.JPG
    PICT2001.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 214
  • PICT2013.JPG
    PICT2013.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 214
Congrats Jim! Sounds like you've had a great experience for your first bear!
And yes, anything close to a 6' bear is a big boy.
It doesn't look like the hide is rubbed out too badly either, so it should make a great rug!

That is a good bear, Kudos on the hunt !!!! Theres stil a few units opened and I've heard of a few last min bears dieing..... Truth be told sometimes it's better later in the season !!

That's a great Idaho bear Jim. Nothing like the cubs that Oscar shoots. Good Job!

That is a great bear. I would like to get my first in the next few years. You did very well!

Way to go man.....what a cool thing for your boys to experience. I'm sure they'll be out there with ya in no time. Congrats!

Back