Goose Decoy recommendations? Update

Brad W

I am looking to add 6-10 high quality floating goose decoys to my setup and looking for a recommendation. I primarily hunt small marshes and rivers in the Northeast. Our geese are heavily pressured and typically in flocks of 4-20. I lean towards the buy nice not twice mentality and take care of my stuff. The options are endless and I am a self taught waterfowl Hunter trying to get my 9 year old into more birds. I would appreciate some advice from the veteran goose hunters on here! I’m sure there are some strong opinions 😀

Imo GHG is the best bang for your buck, but there floaters are HEAVY! If money is no issue then go with Avian-x definitely. Also if weight or bulk is an issue I'd recommend buying some lesser decoys to help with that. One other thing when setting your dekes put your geese downwind of your ducks.

Thanks Nick. I had not heard the geese down wind of the ducks. Makes a lot of sense though. I assume the real ducks would freak out if the geese flew over their heads.

Thanks Nick. I had not heard the geese down wind of the ducks. Makes a lot of sense though. I assume the real ducks would freak out if the geese flew over their heads.
Well it just seems like ducks don't mind dropping in over the geese but the geese don't prefer to land over the ducks at least this has been my experience.

Oh yeah. He’s got the passion. Shot his first duck last year (8 years old)with a little 410 and he’s been talking about this season since Christmas. Crazy part was when an eagle came to steal his bird. We were shouting and high fiving when I saw the eagle heading straight for the bird. You’ve never seen a grown man hurdle/fall over a gunwale so fast! I was wading through the marsh waving my hands and yelling like a madman. The eagle reconsidered and banked off. Just made the story that much better 😂C3F91F3A-9491-4147-82A3-F66BE254610E.jpeg

Oh yeah. He’s got the passion. Shot his first duck last year (8 years old)with a little 410 and he’s been talking about this season since Christmas. Crazy part was when an eagle came to steal his bird. We were shouting and high fiving when I saw the eagle heading straight for the bird. You’ve never seen a grown man hurdle/fall over a gunwale so fast! I was wading through the marsh waving my hands and yelling like a madman. The eagle reconsidered and banked off. Just made the story that much better 😂View attachment 245126
That's great!

G&H last a long time and look good, they have weighted keel and different head position options. I have some that are close to 30yrs old and have only needed some touch up paint once. plus good american company

G&H last a long time and look good, they have weighted keel and different head position options. I have some that are close to 30yrs old and have only needed some touch up paint once. plus good american company
Are they still making decoys?

Not floaters, but I like these 6 geese decoys as I can stake them in shallow water
or on circular steel rings in shallow riffles for river hunting.
Lightweight and I carry them on my back walking in to remote areas.
IMG_0006.JPG

Thought I would circle back to this and post an update for those of you that helped. I ended up getting 8 Avian x top flight honkers because I found a random sale from Dicks Sporting Goods that had them marked down to $149 with free shipping. I thought it was a mistake since they are usually around $199 but they showed up as advertised and worked great this season. Waterfowl hunting here in northern New England is pretty tough but the geese decoys and a jerk rig setup were awesome. First five legal minutes they were on the water we had a pair of wood ducks land right in them. My son couldn’t get on them fast enough but it was a great start to the day. Ended up getting a bunch of ducks and a goose over a couple trips and missed a layup on a lone goose that settled perfectly into the spread before breaking off right above the decoys and sliding past our setup. Thanks for the help! My son is hooked on duck hunting and the new decoys definitely helped us improve our odds. Photos of the decoys on the water and my diy duck boat. Used conduit and some connection pieces from makerpipe that worked great. Going to make some improvements next year but overall it worked well 6BBEFEDA-6C0C-4842-9644-D579DDACB586.jpeg5AC92B69-E970-48F1-99D2-F89C40F374E5.jpeg

GHG have always treated me well. I have killed a LOT of geese over them....

I am looking to add 6-10 high quality floating goose decoys to my setup and looking for a recommendation. I primarily hunt small marshes and rivers in the Northeast. Our geese are heavily pressured and typically in flocks of 4-20. I lean towards the buy nice not twice mentality and take care of my stuff. The options are endless and I am a self taught waterfowl Hunter trying to get my 9 year old into more birds. I would appreciate some advice from the veteran goose hunters on here! I’m sure there are some strong opinions 😀
Dave Smith’s!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back