GMU 29 moose

Mallard_militia

I got an email today to inform me that I was next in line for a returned cow moose tag in unit 29! I know the moose numbers are not high in this area but I chose it due to the Relatively easy draw odds. I’m looking at hunting the Caribou Creek area. If anybody has been to this area and success for moose or been there and seen moose, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Season dates Oct. 1-14th

Last edited:

nrpate05

There are certainly moose up there. I think there is still a closure around Brainard Lake but not sure of the exact boundary. I live in Boulder and spend some time in the Indian Peaks and surrounding forest throughout the summer so I'll keep an eye out. A couple folks just got in a mix up with a cow moose at the West Magnolia trail system. Sounds like they got pretty banged up. I've seen moose up there. There are also a lot of bikers and dog walkers...

Mallard_militia

There are certainly moose up there. I think there is still a closure around Brainard Lake but not sure of the exact boundary. I live in Boulder and spend some time in the Indian Peaks and surrounding forest throughout the summer so I'll keep an eye out. A couple folks just got in a mix up with a cow moose at the West Magnolia trail system. Sounds like they got pretty banged up. I've seen moose up there. There are also a lot of bikers and dog walkers...
I’ve been looking at estimates populations and they have doubled in the past decade. I’m sure more and more encounters will take place especially with the amount of hikers/bikers that use the trail systems there.

BoulderBulls

Same here, I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya.

Good luck

Addicting

Every single kill site is reported and mapped for the last 10ish years. Reach out to the biologist and request a copy of the GPS data. You will see there are clumps in specific drainages. That’s where I would start. It works well. D9CCC97E-2573-427A-A840-5448A626441E.jpeg

Mallard_militia

Every single kill site is reported and mapped for the last 10ish years. Reach out to the biologist and request a copy of the GPS data. You will see there are clumps in specific drainages. That’s where I would start. It works well. View attachment 227492
Wow that’s convenient. It almost kind of feels like cheating… Is that you with a cow moose? I’ve also never eaten moose before it’s good right? What would you compare it to?

Addicting

Wow that’s convenient. It almost kind of feels like cheating… Is that you with a cow moose? I’ve also never eaten moose before it’s good right? What would you compare it to?
Not cheating, you have to report yours the same way, it’s public info. It is excellent and very close to beef. The grain structure is almost identical it’s just missing the fat content. Her fat was on the outside more than inter muscular.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackmathew