Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

General elk tag alternatives

Nick87

Well I've got good news and even better news. My brother and I both drew our Wyoming general elk tags. About two days after we found out we were successful in the draw my wife surprised me with the news that we our expecting our first child in the middle of october!!! Great news! So October is out for me. I figured we could still use the tag in September and just buy an archery stamp win win right, only to find out there are no slots open for vacation in September at work (non negotiable I tried). Eating the tag and not going under these circumstances didn't bother me the least don't get me wrong, but I'm trying to still not waste it especially for my brothers sake. I've been doing some digging and it looks like I may be able to use the tag for a late season cow hunt looks like units 127,129, 116 and 66 fall into this category. Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with these hunt/dates, or possibly I'm missing something and there are more options I'm not seeing that we could use our tags for later in the season? Thanks in advance!!

Congrats on the baby, this is the first of many hunting schedule issues it will bring. It’s all worth when they start asking to go. Hang in there.

I have not information to help you, but congrats on the baby and the tag. Hope you can make it work!

PS- Both my boys were born in June for a reason... ;) :D

I have not information to help you, but congrats on the baby and the tag. Hope you can make it work!

PS- Both my boys were born in June for a reason... ;) :D

Yes the plan was to have a summer or winter baby for the same reason, but what can I say I got carried away.:rolleyes:

Congrats! If there's one thing worth missing a hunting season for, it's having a kid. Being a parent is pretty awesome. That being said, elk can be found along the Greybull River in 66 all the way to Burlington. You'd need to secure access to private land for the best chance of finding one.

I know that the northwestern units near Jackson are open for a good part of November, with some going through November. A lot of the rifle seasons start at the end of September as well so you may be able to sneak a hunt in before junior is born. You can also apply to hunt the elk refuge in December I believe. Nice thing about Wyoming general tag is that you have a lot of time to work with. Good luck with the hunt and the new addition to the family!

I know that the northwestern units near Jackson are open for a good part of November, with some going through November. A lot of the rifle seasons start at the end of September as well so you may be able to sneak a hunt in before junior is born. You can also apply to hunt the elk refuge in December I believe. Nice thing about Wyoming general tag is that you have a lot of time to work with. Good luck with the hunt and the new addition to the family!

Thanks! I'll look into the refuge hunt, unfortunately my vacation time doesn't start until Oct 2nd. I had looked into those nw units for the earlier opener but just can't get off for work at that time.

Back