PEAX Equipment

Gear question

Preach

Hello,
I’m new to HT and this is my first post. I’m an easterner from NC that has only hunted whitetail from stands. Well, my son moved to Livingston, MT two years ago and being an avid outdoorsman began hunting big game out there. So this year I applied for a combination license and drew a tag. I’m really thankful because I miss hunting with him. We will be hunting public land near Pray in mid-November. Here’s my question and there may be others that follow. We plan on hiking several miles each day to hunt. I’m considering buying a new pair of boots I have a pair of un-insulated Oboz hiking boots. Should I just stick with those or purchase something with some insulation like 400 gram? I’m considering the Danner Pronghorn. Thanks in advance for your input. Robert

Welcome to HT from someone who resides in Livingston, your son is just as lucky as I am to live in the best part of MT.

Personally I would be looking for something a little stiffer, something in a MTN style boot like Kenetrek, Crispi, Schnees, etc. The stiffer boot makes for easier ascents, less fatigue, things you may not notice in a lesser boot, until you wear a pair. These boots will set you back $350-$500.

Having said that, my dad has been out here hunting a couple times and loves his Danner Pronghorns. It really comes down to how much/how often you plan to come out, how hard you can or will hunt. My dad doesn’t feel it’s necessary to invest in the boots for the few times he’ll need them.

As far as insulation, I don’t find it to be a need on an active hunt; you can adjust for temperatures with various weights of wool socks. Around here, the best hunting comes with really crappy weather, so I would have something good and waterproof, a pair of gaiters for the snow, and most importantly the boots need to fit you and be broken in before the hunt.

I’ve elk hunted in everything from running shoes to Muck boots, but prefer a stiff MTN boot for my daily drivers.

Good luck to you and your son! Enjoy your time in MT, it will be a blast!

Preach: I am also a North Carolinian that goes to MT to hunt. Kennetrek Mountain Extreme (non-insulated) would be my recommendation. If nowhere around has them, you could do like I did. On one of my hunting trips, I went to a outdoor shop in MT and tried them on, walked around in them, etc. I then told them about the promotion that Kennetrek was having with giving you free gaiters with a purchase. Long story short, they shipped them free to NC, with free gaiters. The boots have worked great in SC, NC, and MT.

I have the uninsulated Pronghorns and the Kenetreks 400 Mountain Hunter. September bowhunting, they both go. After September, only the Kenetreks.
Kenetreks are a much better boot IMO and worth the extra money. If your feet hunt, you won’t hunt as well.
Find some place that you can try on different boots to find the ones that fit you.

Kenetrek has an ebay store, you can get barely used returns for big discount, with 30 day returns. They often go for under $250.

In the end though you really need to try different kinds on and make sure they work for you.

I know folks like pimping their favorite brand, but it would be foolish to think you could just buy Kenetrek and they would serve as the end all be all. Buy a bunch and make sure they fit. Return the rest.

Welcome to the HT community.

November in Montana can be a roll of the dice as far as weather is concerned. Nothing will ruin the day faster than having cold sore feet. My advise would be to pick up a pair of good insulated boots along with well made wool socks. I can't ever remember experiencing uncomfortably hot feet while wearing insulated boots during any November hunt in Montana.

Montana 2014, temps never dipped above zero for six days straight. Great time to be in the hills chasing critters!
IMG_0042.JPG

I hope that you have a grand adventure in Big Sky Country this fall.

Mtnhunter1

Last edited:
Welcome! Boot wise I don't wear more than 200g thinsulate in hunting boots, my feet may get a little chilled on a long cold stand, but they do not get hot and sweaty. It somewhat depends on how hot blooded or cold blooded you are. I echo the advice of getting good boots like the Kenetrek they make a huge difference. Good luck.

As I remember Pray is about 7000 ft. Mid November is --- cold. I would suggest airbob pacs, felt lined,14 in tops. Buy an extra set of liners so you have dry feet every day. Order them from Hoffmans in Kellogg, Idaho and if possible have 5 golf cleats put in the instep for those nasty 3 inch lodgepole sliders that lay in waiting under the snow. The price is about $200. They will give you better traction on the rocks than conventional boots. While your wife will lecture you on too many shoes, if you are serious about this you will need early dry weather boots, thinsolite airbobs for damp but cool weather and felt lined airbob pacs for cold snowy normal hunting weather. The good news is you don't need to break in pacs. Just get a good wool sock and a silk or nylon liner sock for next to the skin. 10,000 loggers aren't wrong and they have to live with them - daily.

Welcome to HT from someone who resides in Livingston, your son is just as lucky as I am to live in the best part of MT.

Personally I would be looking for something a little stiffer, something in a MTN style boot like Kenetrek, Crispi, Schnees, etc. The stiffer boot makes for easier ascents, less fatigue, things you may not notice in a lesser boot, until you wear a pair. These boots will set you back $350-$500.

Having said that, my dad has been out here hunting a couple times and loves his Danner Pronghorns. It really comes down to how much/how often you plan to come out, how hard you can or will hunt. My dad doesn’t feel it’s necessary to invest in the boots for the few times he’ll need them.

As far as insulation, I don’t find it to be a need on an active hunt; you can adjust for temperatures with various weights of wool socks. Around here, the best hunting comes with really crappy weather, so I would have something good and waterproof, a pair of gaiters for the snow, and most importantly the boots need to fit you and be broken in before the hunt.

I’ve elk hunted in everything from running shoes to Muck boots, but prefer a stiff MTN boot for my daily drivers.

Good luck to you and your son! Enjoy your time in MT, it will be a blast!

Thanks so much for the input, I’ll probably fall into the same category as your dad. I’m used to trying to insulate my feet due to stand hunting. Thanks again!!

Kenetrek 400 gram, a pair of waterproof gaiters for the snow.
That's the route I take for the last 45 years out here.

Thanks!!! I do have the gaiters just got to settle on the boots. The Kenetrek are just out of my range for boots.

Other brands than mentioned above, Hoffman, Zamberlan, Lowa, Asolo. Look for trekking/backpacking boots, get them with a full or partial rand if you plan on using them a lot.

Preach: I am also a North Carolinian that goes to MT to hunt. Kennetrek Mountain Extreme (non-insulated) would be my recommendation. If nowhere around has them, you could do like I did. On one of my hunting trips, I went to a outdoor shop in MT and tried them on, walked around in them, etc. I then told them about the promotion that Kennetrek was having with giving you free gaiters with a purchase. Long story short, they shipped them free to NC, with free gaiters. The boots have worked great in SC, NC, and MT.
That sounds like a good thing to do. I’ll be out there in a couple of weeks for a visit. Thanks again!!

I have the uninsulated Pronghorns and the Kenetreks 400 Mountain Hunter. September bowhunting, they both go. After September, only the Kenetreks.
Kenetreks are a much better boot IMO and worth the extra money. If your feet hunt, you won’t hunt as well.
Find some place that you can try on different boots to find the ones that fit you.
Thanks so much.

Kenetrek has an ebay store, you can get barely used returns for big discount, with 30 day returns. They often go for under $250.

In the end though you really need to try different kinds on and make sure they work for you.
Thanks I’ll keep an eye on that.

Welcome to the HT community.

November in Montana can be a roll of the dice as far as weather is concerned. Nothing will ruin the day faster than having cold sore feet. My advise would be to pick up a pair of good insulated boots along with well made wool socks. I can't ever remember experiencing uncomfortably hot feet while wearing insulated boots during any November hunt in Montana.

Montana 2014, temps never dipped above zero for six days straight. Great time to be in the hills chasing critters!
View attachment 147170

I hope that you have a grand adventure in Big Sky Country this fall.

Mtnhunter1
Thanks so much for the feedback. I’m really looking forward to it.

The only boots I own that are insulated are my Mickey mouse boots for goose hunting and ice fishing. All my big game hunting is done in uninsulated full leather lowas that are waterproof. In August/September I run a really light hiking sock with a liner. Once the weather turns and it is cold and snowy I run a thicker wool socks with gaiters. If I am moving my feet never get cold and if I plan on sitting to glass for long periods I'll carry insulated booties that go over my boots. My feet do run hot though so i have never had an issue on colder hunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back