Explorer+ or Mini?

• Explorer+

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Mini

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SPDSpappy

I'm an onX map user on my phone and carry an external battery pack with me for recharging. Part of me wants to have the mapping feature of the Explorer+ as a back up to my phone in case something happens to it, but not sure that's worth an extra $100 and 4 oz. What are some of your thoughts?

I just ordered the mini. I figure the smaller the better chance of having it with. I will carry it snowmobiling, as well as back country hunting.

You won't mind when the battery dies on one of them :cool:

This would be true, except for the fact I always have an external battery pack with me and a solar panel to keep it going. I also have a Goal Zero Yeti 400 and large solar panel for charging back at the tent. Since I'm new to elk hunting (Oct 2018 was my first western hunt) and don't have lots of experience in one area, I'm not hiking in miles and setting up camp per the elk talk podcast w/ Randy & Corey. Although, that is something to consider for the future... Maybe I can just bring the standalone GPS on those hunts later in my hunting career.

You can search my review of the Mini on here. I cant see any real reason to carry all three. Amd honestly, I dont think very many venture far enough into the backcountry for the triple redundancy.

You can search my review of the Mini on here. I cant see any real reason to carry all three. Amd honestly, I dont think very many venture far enough into the backcountry for the triple redundancy.

I did see that thread, thanks!

I bought the SE..... I probably could've gone with the mini but I like having the keyboard. I carry my phone with onx now instead of handheld gps. Sure does make a guy feel better.

I have the mini and use it tethered to my iphone. I used it this year elk hunting and on Adak and in the Chugach in AK combo works great. Protip, un-tether/ turn off the bluetooth when your not actively texting as that will greatly extend the battery life on both devices.

I've used the mini + iphone and never felt the need for another device. Never used an explorer+, but it seems like some of the reviews I read say that as a GPS, it's a little lacking. If it's only a back-up, I guess that wouldn't matter though.

I've been looking at these also, and am thinking the bigger one - just for the extra battery life.

I've been looking at these also, and am thinking the bigger one - just for the extra battery life.

Unless you have need for the larger unit, the battery is a nonissue in my mind. If you don't have a battery pack for your phone that you'll be using it with already, then get one. Also, I got three solid days on mine with no issues and still had about 30% left.

I bought the SE..... I probably could've gone with the mini but I like having the keyboard. I carry my phone with onx now instead of handheld gps. Sure does make a guy feel better.

Thank you for your insight! I guess I should consider the SE as well. I was just thinking that if I’m going to be carrying around something heavier, I’d want the topo maps feature. There is a good discount w/ the SE though....

I have the mini and use it tethered to my iphone. I used it this year elk hunting and on Adak and in the Chugach in AK combo works great. Protip, un-tether/ turn off the bluetooth when your not actively texting as that will greatly extend the battery life on both devices.
Good point about turning off the Bluetooth! Although, if I’m with someone in a hunting party and they’re trying to message me, I may want to leave it on. I’ll have to research that one as I think the inReach makes noise if you get a message and that would resolve the issue. I can’t remember from when I rented one this past October for my CO elk trip.

I've used the mini + iphone and never felt the need for another device. Never used an explorer+, but it seems like some of the reviews I read say that as a GPS, it's a little lacking. If it's only a back-up, I guess that wouldn't matter though.

I rented an Explorer this past October for my CO elk hunt and it seemed to be ok. Like you said though, I was using it as a backup and wasn’t really paying that close of attention to it.

Unless you have need for the larger unit, the battery is a nonissue in my mind. If you don't have a battery pack for your phone that you'll be using it with already, then get one. Also, I got three solid days on mine with no issues and still had about 30% left.

Good to know about how long the battery life is in the field for the mini. What was your tracking update frequency? I’m really not concerned about the slightly reduced battery life of the mini based on what you said given my external battery/solar setup for recharging.

Good point about turning off the Bluetooth! Although, if I’m with someone in a hunting party and they’re trying to message me, I may want to leave it on. I’ll have to research that one as I think the inReach makes noise if you get a message and that would resolve the issue. I can’t remember from when I rented one this past October for my CO elk trip.

Yes the mini will beep at you when you get a message and then you can quickly swipe on your Bluetooth, check the message on your phone, reply, and then turn the Bluetooth off and put your phone away. Also you can adjust the volume of the beep, for hunting I turned it off but attached the mini to my shoulder strap so I could glance down and see if I had a message.

Even with bluetooth on my phone + mini would last an entire day. Bluetooth off, sending maybe 10 messages a day with no tracking, turning it off at night, I bet the mini battery would last a week maybe 10 days?

Yes the mini will beep at you when you get a message and then you can quickly swipe on your Bluetooth, check the message on your phone, reply, and then turn the Bluetooth off and put your phone away. Also you can adjust the volume of the beep, for hunting I turned it off but attached the mini to my shoulder strap so I could glance down and see if I had a message.

Even with bluetooth on my phone + mini would last an entire day. Bluetooth off, sending maybe 10 messages a day with no tracking, turning it off at night, I bet the mini battery would last a week maybe 10 days?

Good to know, thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back