Friend's Wife Needs Advice

np307

So I'm currently planning on a Wyoming general tag in 2021. Hunting buddy and I went out there for antelope last fall, he's a firm commitment. So I got a message from his wife today asking what the whole process is for drawing a tag because she wants to surprise him with one. He has no points currently, so I mentioned the possibility of a cow tag, warning her that it isn't a guaranteed draw, especially in the same area as a Gen tag.

Here's the big question: on a scale of "that's unreasonably high expectation" to "you're an idiot and she would be throwing the money away", where does her purchasing a cow tag (assuming it gets drawn) to accompany a gen tag for two first time elk hunters fall? We are looking at 10-14 days for the trip currently (including a day and a half on each side for driving).

Nothing wrong with the idea of a cow tag at all, but it will limit the unit choices for your general tag and you'll need to decide exactly where you'll be hunting before the app deadline next year. If you are fine with that, I say go for it. Given the points it takes and expense, your bull tag should be the priority on the hunt.

Take this with a big, fat grain of salt because I'm still learning WY.

From what I have found, there aren't a whole lot of units that have both a general tag and cow tag available, especially with a cow tag that can be draw with 0 points. Or, if they are both available, they might not run the same season.

I have also found, from personal experience, that a wife trying to surprise you with a tag is awesome! Until she gets overwhelmed with the amount of research and effort involved, lol. It is also equally great when she ultimately says, "I was going to try and surprise you with a tag . . . . . just figure out how you can get one yourself."

Nothing wrong with the idea of a cow tag at all, but it will limit the unit choices for your general tag and you'll need to decide exactly where you'll be hunting before the app deadline next year. If you are fine with that, I say go for it. Given the points it takes and expense, your bull tag should be the priority on the hunt.
I've got a pretty good idea of where we would be going on my gen tag and at first glance the odds for cow tags in the units I was considering are around 25%.

Take this with a big, fat grain of salt because I'm still learning WY.

From what I have found, there aren't a whole lot of units that have both a general tag and cow tag available, especially with a cow tag that can be draw with 0 points. Or, if they are both available, they might not run the same season.

I have also found, from personal experience, that a wife trying to surprise you with a tag is awesome! Until she gets overwhelmed with the amount of research and effort involved, lol. It is also equally great when she ultimately says, "I was going to try and surprise you with a tag . . . . . just figure out how you can get one yourself."
I'm talking about a type 6 tag, not a type 4. All type 6 tags are random draw. I don't mind doing the research to relay to her what she needs to apply for.

I've got a pretty good idea of where we would be going on my gen tag and at first glance the odds for cow tags in the units I was considering are around 25%.

I'm talking about a type 6 tag, not a type 4. All type 6 tags are random draw. I don't mind doing the research to relay to her what she needs to apply for.

In that case, sure, might as well have her put his hat in the ring. If he pulls a tag you guys shoot the first adult cow you see and don't have to feel guilty filling the general tag with a cow.

Sounds like a nice idea. To really surprise him, she will need to do the app for him so she'll need his customer ID, which will be on his receipt from the antelope license he had or, it will will be on his receipt when he buys points later this year. She could buy those for him, not as a "surprise" and she'd have access to his account for the following year.

Sounds like a nice idea. To really surprise him, she will need to do the app for him so she'll need his customer ID, which will be on his receipt from the antelope license he had or, it will will be on his receipt when he buys points later this year. She could buy those for him, not as a "surprise" and she'd have access to his account for the following year.
I actually processed the apps for the antelope trip, so I have his customer ID.

Maybe it would be easier to draw an antelope tag or deer tag for him if you have your gen. Area somewhat slimmed down. Would make it a lot easier fill one of those on top of your elk tag instead of another elk?

If you have his Customer ID, i'd suggest she give him a receipt for a preference point, a copy of the regs, an On X Subscription, and a bank saving account statement book with an opening balance of $707. ($692 +15).

Then the two of you plan your hunt choices together.

So I'm currently planning on a Wyoming general tag in 2021. Hunting buddy and I went out there for antelope last fall, he's a firm commitment. So I got a message from his wife today asking what the whole process is for drawing a tag because she wants to surprise him with one. He has no points currently, so I mentioned the possibility of a cow tag, warning her that it isn't a guaranteed draw, especially in the same area as a Gen tag.

Here's the big question: on a scale of "that's unreasonably high expectation" to "you're an idiot and she would be throwing the money away", where does her purchasing a cow tag (assuming it gets drawn) to accompany a gen tag for two first time elk hunters fall? We are looking at 10-14 days for the trip currently (including a day and a half on each side for driving).
I guess I'm not understanding the original post, you say you are looking at general for 2021, but then you say he has no points, so I'm not sure he'll be able to draw general in 2021 with only one point (assuming he buys one this fall) unless you have lots of points you're going to share with him? If you're talking about getting him a type 6 cow tag in addition to a general tag, I think it can be done, but if you're first time elk hunters might be a lot to ask for and maybe money better spent on a different tag and just focus on filling two general tags.

He’s saying that his friend is going with him on the hunt anyways, so his friends wife would try to surprise him with a Type 6 cow tag in the same area. It’s a good plan, but will require a bit of luck with the Type 6 odds.

We will likely do the same thing this year in Wyoming. Some of us may decide to draw the general tags and others will plan on being sherpas. If we decide where to hunt ahead of time, the sherpas will try for Type 6 tags in the same area.

Well if the hunt is in 2021, she can buy a preference point this year and have 1 for next year to try and draw with. Odds of pulling a general tag for a bull increase quite a bit if I remember right.

He’s saying that his friend is going with him on the hunt anyways, so his friends wife would try to surprise him with a Type 6 cow tag in the same area. It’s a good plan, but will require a bit of luck with the Type 6 odds.

We will likely do the same thing this year in Wyoming. Some of us may decide to draw the general tags and others will plan on being sherpas. If we decide where to hunt ahead of time, the sherpas will try for Type 6 tags in the same area.
Ok, so one general tag and the friend is going with no tag, in that case I think it's a great idea, I was able to pick up a type 6 in a general unit on the leftover draw last year. No hurt in trying to draw one.

Well if the hunt is in 2021, she can buy a preference point this year and have 1 for next year to try and draw with. Odds of pulling a general tag for a bull increase quite a bit if I remember right.
It's likely to take 3 points to draw a general this year without going in for the special draw, and even that will likely take 2 points this year, but there's always the random draw so maybe worth trying.

It's likely to take 3 points to draw a general this year without going in for the special draw, and even that will likely take 2 points this year, but there's always the random draw so maybe worth trying.
Oofta, getting tough to draw a WY tag... I must've misread it or am thinking of a different state.

I hope he likes surprises. The idea of someone planning an entire hunt with me being blind to it makes me nervous. I wouldn’t be very good at acting surprised on the day I find out haha

I hope he likes surprises. The idea of someone planning an entire hunt with me being blind to it makes me nervous. I wouldn’t be very good at acting surprised on the day I find out haha
Yeah, but if you're just figuring to be tagging along anyways, and all of a sudden you have a tag too, you'd have to pretty uptight to not be happy about that!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back