MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

freighter canoe outboards

CdnHunter

I do remote moose hunting trips in northern Ontario in an 18' freighter canoe. Often these are solo trips. I use a 2.5 HP four stroke outboard, which does the job nicely. So far I have been lucky, but am always concerned about mechanical failure. It would be difficult to paddle all the way out.

I know that may AK hunters travel by freighter canoe. Comments would be appreciated.

How many of you take a spare outboard on remote trips?
Has anybody tried running twin small outboards on a freighter canoe?

Yes I use 19’ Grumman with lift and 9.9 Merc with a Rock Hopper prop guard for my moose hunting. Extra Prop and starter rope and tools but have never needed any …….knock on wood ! I always take Gorilla Tape just in case ! I baby my Grumman canoe. I have Bed Liner on the bottom of canoe.

Attachments

• AF36FDA1-403A-47DD-9FB7-BE115FD0340A.jpeg
    AF36FDA1-403A-47DD-9FB7-BE115FD0340A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • C441DA73-B4EC-4D80-A556-2A02DEFF9F7B.jpeg
    C441DA73-B4EC-4D80-A556-2A02DEFF9F7B.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Spare parts, but not a whole motor. Spark plugs, prop, etc, tools and luck! the only problem I’ve ever had was the fuel line was old and weak. The way it sat in the boat caused it to kink and cut off the supply. Since the rubber line had become weak it wasn’t strong to keep its shape. I just had to use about a 8” piece of a stick the same size as the line and duct tape it on like a splint. It worked the rest of the trip with no issues.

After second thought another issue came to mind. I’ve had the starter rope break a few times. I always carry extra of that too.

I've got a Johnson 4 hp 4 stroke on my canoe. Nice little motor. On a 14' Canadian model made from fiberglass. Can't remember name but really wide stable. And bright green. Gotta paint that one. Still use the paddles with our coleman canoe.
I use bitathane for sealing holes. A little on each side. If it can touch its stuck. I put bitathane on my coleman canoe when I wore holes threw the gunnel. Dragging it. Scrapping bottom n such. Works fantastic for fixing holes

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back