Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

? For the tree dog guys

Kyboy88

I have heard of x a good cur or coon hound to a pointer to add speed brains and make a not so open dog I was wounding if you all have seen one like that and what your take on it was and if they were any different as far as speed tracking and handling

Just my take. If i was to cross breed for traits into my hounds i would probbly look to another strain of hounds that were flush with the traits i am lookimg for, vs crossing to a pointer or cur.

Well the reason I ask is tree dogs are the most common kind around but they don't seem to have the speed and staying power to deal with the fox and coyote that are getting to be way more common here I have heard x over to a good cur or pointer can add speed better handling and makes a easier dog to break from running deer

They’re a dying breed but guys I knew and the few that still do run foxes strictly run walker hounds. Never a pointer or cur cross. Which for them the chase was the hunt. A dog that didn’t run open was useless.

if you want fox hounds for coyotes and fox, we have plenty in the NE. Lots of guys running yotes in western NY and all through PA. They run manly walker crosses and hot nosed with lots of foot. They run plenty big and for the part you can keep em off trash. Personally most dont run enough track for me and they are too hot nosed.

Just my 2 cents but on tree hounds I have alway did well with walker x with Black and Tans. Get walker speed, Black and Tan nose and generally a good tongue on the trail and a chop at the tree. Del Camron hounds are known to be the best of the best and I know many true lion hounds men that swear by them. To me they look like a blue tick B&T cross. I got one camron hound from Bcat and it was just not what I expected after reading about these hounds. But again you can get a dud in any breed. Back when I was running deer and fox in the fox pens for trophies and wild for deer as they did in the south, I loved my white walkers. But could never get them to tree. I can tell you this and hope someone will prove different but I have never and I say never have been able to get anything with beagle thrown in the mix to tree. The would trail but never tree bark. I guess if I have my choice for a competition tree hound I will stick with a blue tick but for hunting I found mixed are easier to break and don’t have as many habits to break. Also make in my opinion better dry ground hounds for lion and bear.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back