Flying in and out of JFK with a rifle

mile shooter

I am going on a whitetail hunt in a few weeks and I am flying in and out of JFK. Just wondering if anybody has had any issues at JFK. My rifle will be in hard case approved for flying, bolt out, and case locked. I won’t have any ammo with me. I have been reading horror stories on the internet but they were all with hand guns, just wondering about rifles.

Personally I wouldn't fly out of JFK for any domestic flight for love or money.
That said you may travel though NYC with rifle providing its unloaded, locked in a case. Traveling though consists of a 24 hour window.
At JFK you will declare it and check like any per TSA regulations. You should be fine.

People like to bash CA but some of those east coast states are worse.

or definitely at least as bad that is for sure. AND, for the record, we never had a problem flying out of or through Calif

mile shooter. As long a you follow the rules you will have no problems in any airport . What each airport and airlines require is suppose to be the same, and for the most part is--But you will find that some airlines, more than some airports have slightly different requirements. Contact the airline you are using and ask them for instructions. Follow them and print them out and take the instructions with you to show to the agent, just in case. Same with TSA, follow their rules and carry a copy of their rules with you. I have heard "who told you that ?" and I show them. If your traveling outside the U.S., again you will have no problem as long a you follow the instructions and laws of the Country you are flying into.

What boggles my mind is people who still today take and or attempt to take loaded guns. I dont know about 2019. But in 2018 Atlanta had the most guns confiscated and fines levied for people trying to check loaded firearms onto a commercial aircraft.

or definitely at least as bad that is for sure. AND, for the record, we never had a problem flying out of or through Calif

mile shooter. As long a you follow the rules you will have no problems in any airport . What each airport and airlines require is suppose to be the same, and for the most part is--But you will find that some airlines, more than some airports have slightly different requirements. Contact the airline you are using and ask them for instructions. Follow them and print them out and take the instructions with you to show to the agent, just in case. Same with TSA, follow their rules and carry a copy of their rules with you. I have heard "who told you that ?" and I show them. If your traveling outside the U.S., again you will have no problem as long a you follow the instructions and laws of the Country you are flying into.

What boggles my mind is people who still today take and or attempt to take loaded guns. I dont know about 2019. But in 2018 Atlanta had the most guns confiscated and fines levied for people trying to check loaded firearms onto a commercial aircraft.

I don't know how they would know if mine is loaded or not. I've never had any TSA agent check my rifle whatsoever.

I don't know how they would know if mine is loaded or not. I've never had any TSA agent check my rifle whatsoever.
I should have been a bit more informative or clear in my prior post. Good question sir

The guns found were guns people had in their carry on bags. They were not all loaded and I am sure they just forgot they were in their carry on luggage when they tried to go through security. Regardless, trying to take a loaded or unloaded firearm in your carry on luggage onto a commercial airline today boggles my mind, but at my age my mind is easily boggled .

Also, according to TSA, they do randomly check bags that have firearms in them to see if they are loaded or not and what they are. this is not done at the counter when you check in however but sometime/ someplace between check in and the bags being loaded onto the aircraft.

Perhaps there is someone here who works for an airline that could give us more information about this

Gerald Martin ---that would do it LOL

Last edited:
I should have been a bit more informative or clear in my prior post. Good question sir

The guns found were guns people had in their carry on bags. They were not all loaded and I am sure they just forgot they were in their carry on luggage when they tried to go through security. Regardless, trying to take a loaded or unloaded firearm in your carry on luggage onto a commercial airline today boggles my mind, but at my age my mind is easily boggled .

Also, according to TSA, they do randomly check bags that have firearms in them to see if they are loaded or not and what they are. this is not done at the counter when you check in however but sometime/ someplace between check in and the bags being loaded onto the aircraft.

Perhaps there is someone here who works for an airline that could give us more information about this

Gerald Martin ---that would do it LOL

I watch TSA open my gun case each time, but no one has ever unzipped the soft case to look at the gun. Lol

I've never flown out of NYC but have out of Newark which I assume is pretty similar. I've never had a bad experience and the TSA agents were always more curious than worried. Be sure to give yourself plenty of extra time. I had to go into a separate room while they opened up the case and made sure of the contents. Bring a printout of the TSA rules and the rules for your specific airline. In NYC, they don't see a lot of people travelling with guns and many of them don't know the rules.

To date my worst experience was in Ketchikan... it's all about whose working at the airport that day.

Reactions: FLS

When I was living in New Orleans there was a guy that tried to check a gun and accidentally shot the guy at the ticket counter while showing him it was unloaded.

I've flown pretty frequently over the years with a rifle. I would recommend a pelican case and throw a TSA lock on it.

Though TSA will allow you to use TSA locks on gun cases they are actually illegal.

§1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

you have to be kidding me on these people who would take a loaded firearm onto a plane,,just unbelievable

Most times they can't decide if they want to check if it is unloaded either. After the ticket agent got shot at New Orleans I know they just wanted to look at it and wouldn't let anyone handle it.

I just flew today from San Diego to Kona with a shotgun. I use an SKB golf case with camping gear inside as cushion and pushing the weight limit of 50#. I do not use TSA locks but I have my cell number written on the locks and on the case and FIREARM written all over the case. Before departing San Diego they called me for the key. This avoids them cutting the locks off which did happen once prior to me writing all over the place.

I bet it will be fine if you just have your ducks in a row. I've always had good experiences flying in and out of Albany. Just know the rules and be polite. Funnily enough, the place I have often had to speak up about rules is in Denver, where I've been asked several times to surrender my keys to someone who takes the rifle case into another room, without me.

Never flown in or out of JFK, but we have never had a problem in any of the airports we have used.

Question for other's here: Is this common for someone to join and ask one question and then disappear ?

Back