Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First elk hunt!

rjlefty3

Leaving tomorrow for my first elk and backcountry hunt! I'm beyond excited, been dreaming about doing this for a few years. Feeling pretty good about everything - fitness wise (we'll see how that goes - can only do so much living at 250 ft above sea level!), shooting, and all else. A lot of people on here have been super helpful, especially as I scan over some of the topics. Seems I always learned another thing or two on each thread, so thank you all!

I've also been watching all sorts of videos/hunts, which has been somewhat helpful on what to expect. Luckily going with a buddy who knows the area, otherwise I wouldn't like my chances! I'll post a report when it's all said and done.

Only part that sucks is leaving the kids for a week! Obviously try and get in touch with them here and there if possible, but I'm not hopeful about that. I think that's what I'll have the hardest time with. I'll figure it out, I'm sure!

Good luck to you and your buddy. Me and the wife are a year out are we are already excited.

Good luck and enjoy every minute.
Sometimes these hunts can be more tough mentally than physical. Like, missing the kids and family. Just enjoy where you're at and what you've look forward to while you're there. It use to kill me when I would leave home for a few days/weeks. Now that my kids are grown, I'm good and love every minute of it.
As for living at low altitudes and heading toward much higher. That'll take a couple days to get use to. Just don't push it.
Again, enjoy and good luck!

Good luck and enjoy every minute.
Sometimes these hunts can be more tough mentally than physical. Like, missing the kids and family. Just enjoy where you're at and what you've look forward to while you're there. It use to kill me when I would leave home for a few days/weeks. Now that my kids are grown, I'm good and love every minute of it.
As for living at low altitudes and heading toward much higher. That'll take a couple days to get use to. Just don't push it.
Again, enjoy and good luck!

I know the feeling! Last night was rough putting them to bed and then taking off. I know once I get out there it'll be a bit better. A lot better if I can get a glimpse of cell service for a bit to call. I'm expecting (and hoping) this is the toughest part.

We'll be at 8-10k, so I'm not anticipating many issues. But I've read enough to know better. Acting on those feelings and coming down is a different story!

Which state are you hunting? Hopefully you're into some elk already and enjoying every minute!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back