First elk hunt help me find a guide

Michaellayne88

I'm planning my first elk hunt. Me and a friend are going to finally go in 2020 but of course we are lost. I'm from south georgia and know nothing other than what I have read and watched. We have narrowed it down to Idaho but are open to suggestions. We aren't looking for trophies just want the experience and meat and are wanting to do this every year. The main thing I'm looking for is a good guide that is affordable preferably that guides on public land any help is much appreciated thanks in advance.

I'd recommend an outfitter that is a member of the IOGA, and start looking at websites. Determine whether you want a backcountry or Cabin/truck hunt. You want to ride horses or 4 wheelers? Willing to shoot a cow in late season or want to chase bugling bulls in September? You gotta do your own homework. Go to some ISE shows but don't believe everything you hear or see. The best outfitters have repeat business and don't need to advertise as much...When younarrow it down to a hunt unit, check references on those outfitters. Especially unsuccessful ones.

Phillip Bowers guides out of Livingston, MT. Two first time elk hunter friends just returned and both got bulls. Pretty reasonable price, too.

1st hunt... just looking for some meat.... you know you could just go without a guide and save a ton of money and have a blast and maybe even shoot an elk and definitely learn a lot so the next time you WILL shoot an elk. I don't think in 2019 with all of the information that is available to you, that you should so easily submit to the notion of "being lost'". Hang out on this forum for a while and you can feel like you have completed a Masters in the field. People here know their s***. Couple seasons more with some hunting under your belt, sky is the limit. Just read posts over the last season or two and you should no longer feel so confused. Also, it might be good to take a summer hiking / camping trip out to your chosen hunting area, if you have never been west. It's not always advisable to just show up in hunting season at 3 am in the Rocky Mountains after a long drive with no plan. That said - we've probably all done it at one time or another and even if you do that, figuring it out is what will ultimately make you love it that much more!

Last edited:
I'm planning my first elk hunt. Me and a friend are going to finally go in 2020 but of course we are lost. I'm from south georgia and know nothing other than what I have read and watched. We have narrowed it down to Idaho but are open to suggestions. We aren't looking for trophies just want the experience and meat and are wanting to do this every year. The main thing I'm looking for is a good guide that is affordable preferably that guides on public land any help is much appreciated thanks in advance.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back