Finally some good ammo news .....

SFC B

Everybody knows of my "trying to find Nosler 300WM 180gr BTs" saga. Well, at work we got a load of Federal Premium 180s with the Barnes TSX bullets. I bought a couple of boxes to give it a shot. Had the day off from work today and (although it was stupid windy) went down to Carson to give them a shot. First 2 shots were in line but about 3.5-4 in low.....adjust up .3 mil..........just a touch low still...... .4 mil and we are GOOD!!! Groups were not quite as tight as the BTs (still below moa) but given the wind as well I am very happy. Gonna buy a few more boxes for "stock" while I still chase the BT dragon !!!

Smart man. I know I'm a bit of an outlier here as a non-reloader, but get something just so you're not cursing yourself over not having done so earlier. In this market you can't assume that if you wait a while you'll get the ammo you're looking for.

SFC B, if you clean your barrel (remove the copper) from your previous bullets (assuming they were the Noslers you were looking for), you might get better groups with the TSX. I found it does make a difference when shooting the Barnes TTSX bullets, that you need to remove the copper from the barrel if you shot another type (copper,etc) bullet. Other manufacturers use different copper types(?), and they can prevent you from getting optimum accuracy from your Barnes TSX loads. Or so I heard-can't hurt.

SFC B, if you clean your barrel (remove the copper) from your previous bullets (assuming they were the Noslers you were looking for), you might get better groups with the TSX. I found it does make a difference when shooting the Barnes TTSX bullets, that you need to remove the copper from the barrel if you shot another type (copper,etc) bullet. Other manufacturers use different copper types(?), and they can prevent you from getting optimum accuracy from your Barnes TSX loads. Or so I heard-can't hurt.
I don't usually like to clean more than once a year (except environmental reason-water, dust, grit etc) but I will run a few before I shoot them again and see. As I said, with the wind the way it was today I was still plenty happy. Thanks for the idea

When he says clean, he means bare steel clean.
Not just run a couple of patches with Hoppes #9 on them.

Haven't had that issue with Cutting Edge bullets.
Yet another reason for me NOT to shoot Barnes.

When he says clean, he means bare steel clean.
Not just run a couple of patches with Hoppes #9 on them.

Haven't had that issue with Cutting Edge bullets.
Yet another reason for me NOT to shoot Barnes.

Yes, exactly. Bare steel, as in NO copper in bore. Although it might take a couple rounds of the TSX to foul the bore, the accuracy potential is greater doing it this way than shooting the TSX after you have fired other type/brand bullets without cleaning. Good Luck!! Let us know how they shoot when you can find calmer shooting conditions.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back