Final Packing for the "Expedition"

David658

Cooked up my biscuits and sausage, all wrapped in foil now for snacks on the mountain. Most of the gear is loaded in the trailer, tomorrow is airing tires, torquing lugs, and loading the generator, water, and fuel. Most of the food is loaded, and just have to toss some blankets in to keep warm.

Blessed to have a cow tag for the same season we did last year, in the same unit. Will be doubly blessed if we can get the same campsite. Even more blessed if we can get an elk.

Sadly, this year my wife is unable to hunt, due to an issue with her toe. She will keep camp, be my cheerleader, and probably worry about me most of the day when I'm in the woods. Surely hoping that she can get this toe issue fixed, and we can get her on an elk next year.

We didn't draw, so purchased a landowner tag (we can do that here in NM). Not the preferred mode (expensive!), but that money is water under the bridge as of last spring and now the whole point is to hunt. Just getting to hunt is worth the money, if we make meat that's all better.

I am feeling good about the hunt, hope that feeling translates to a clean kill, a short pack out, and meat in the freezer. Nevertheless, it is a hunt, and I have found that my psyche needs a hunt.

Hoping for a good report for you later, with pics!

David
NM

They are called "sprained ribs", and feel like you'd imagine. Messing around on the floor with my Airedale the night before departure, I should know I am far too old. Set camp, then spent two days up and down with a pack (I look like Santa in a Randy Newberg costume), and found that the rib got worse, the back chimed in, and my wife was growing tired of a broken old man in camp with her. Pulled out today - even if I had shot one ( I saw ZERO fresh sign in almost three days), I would not have been able to take it apart and hike it out.

Hopefully the ibex hunt in February will tide me over till next fall, and that both hubby and bride will both be able to do the job. Some years are good ones, other ain't.

But I can set up a good crapper, this one was almost worth the trip by itself.

Attachments

• 26FA5505-E961-49CA-8DDA-6C50AA55FC98.jpeg
    26FA5505-E961-49CA-8DDA-6C50AA55FC98.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back