Fermented Hot Sauce

JV842

03B31A6F-E2EF-4770-8CE7-8994AAA2D86E.jpeg0EBD0E90-7F82-4D8F-9C5B-8F7C3E5D2814.jpegB1B61865-483A-401A-801E-A31197722225.jpeg546062C3-1E03-4633-8B65-2522BC5217AC.jpegD3CAC68C-1DD8-49D5-BE45-2E8E6622C932.jpegAB4154E5-A3C9-4B8A-86DC-1F53D9C08F83.jpeg0E5000E6-BB94-4F3F-84A6-0A108050F274.jpegMade a fermented hot sauce. Started it on March 21st n finished it up today. Turned out damn good w a bit of an Asian flair to it. Used multiple kinds of peppers, garlic, ginger, turmeric, onions, apples, beets, coriander seed, mustard seed, pepper corns. Next time I will back off some on the salt n add more apples.
Added yellow mustard seed and brown mustard seed to the left over brine n going to make a spicy mustard; both coarse n smooth

View attachment 222552View attachment 222553View attachment 222554View attachment 222555View attachment 222556View attachment 222557View attachment 222558Made a fermented hot sauce. Started it on March 21st n finished it up today. Turned out damn good w a bit of an Asian flair to it. Used multiple kinds of peppers, garlic, ginger, turmeric, onions, apples, beets, coriander seed, mustard seed, pepper corns. Next time I will back off some on the salt n add more apples.
Added yellow mustard seed and brown mustard seed to the left over brine n going to make a spicy mustard; both coarse n smooth
Never heard of fermented hot sauce. What's the difference between that and regular hot sauce (say Frank's or Cholua)

Lacto-fermentation doesn’t kill all the probiotics n actually releases different nutrients n minerals that can’t be accessed by cooking or pickling. It also gives it a “funky” taste that’s hard to describe but is damn good. It’s kind of like making a sourdough starter; all natural n no preservatives

Looks good, I tried a simpler recipe once but it came out too watery, messed up somewhere. So into the crock in chunks to ferment then pureed at the end?

View attachment 222552View attachment 222553View attachment 222554View attachment 222555View attachment 222556View attachment 222557View attachment 222558Made a fermented hot sauce. Started it on March 21st n finished it up today. Turned out damn good w a bit of an Asian flair to it. Used multiple kinds of peppers, garlic, ginger, turmeric, onions, apples, beets, coriander seed, mustard seed, pepper corns. Next time I will back off some on the salt n add more apples.
I've done this accidentally, but never on purpose. Mine was really bitter. Mrs described it as, "yeasty"

Yep, I strained the brine off before I blended, then added brine to it until I got the consistency I was looking for
Do you mind walking us through the process in a little more depth? I have been interested in this for a while back haven’t tried it yet. Does the fermentation vessel matter, when does everything add, how long will it last in the fridge?

Do you mind walking us through the process in a little more depth? I have been interested in this for a while back haven’t tried it yet. Does the fermentation vessel matter, when does everything add, how long will it last in the fridge?
Fermentation jars…u can use regular mason jars n lids but u have to “burp” it, by loosening the top every so often. There r “self burping” lids u can purchase. I have a nice fermentation crock w a lid u put a water seal around. I also have a big 5 gallon crock. I’ve seen people; on YouTube use vac seal bags.
First time I’ve done the hot sauce, so not sure how long it will last, everything I’ve read n watched says several months. I still have sauerkraut in the fridge that me n some friends made a couple years ago (300lbs) that’s still good
Process….basically ur taking most any vegetable, put it n an approx 2% (weight of veg/water) in an oxygen deprived environment. Salt % varies. Once fermentation starts u will see bubbles n a white film (natural yeasts) start to form. The length of ferment time depends on u; different tastes, textures, n “funkyness” develop over time. On my hot sauce I noticed that the fermentation had “slowed down” after a month; lack of bubbles, so I mashed the vegetables w a “mashing stick” to release more sugars for the yeast/good bacteria to feed on, n kick the fermentation back up again.
There r tons of resources available; really like Bon Appetite’s “Alive” series on YouTube, n have learned a bunch from older family. But ultimately it’s a fun experiment n I like to play w different flavors n time. If it works great, if it doesn’t, I start over n adjust.
Keep notes n measure (by weight not volume) n have fun w it.
Going to try n make some different drinks next n a fermented dill pickle
Thinking some of my homemade sausage w/ fermented spicy mustard, fermented pickles, n fermented hot sauce sounds good!!!

Very nice! I got hooked on making fermented hot sauces last year after going overboard on planting hot peppers. It's fun to try different ingredients too, like prickly pear fruit, mango, pineapple, or honey fermented garlic. I've tested mine with a pH meter, they're typically in the 3.6 - 3.7 range. I think anything below 4.0 you're pretty safe. I usually add 1/2 capsule of probiotic for my lactobacillus source. Plenty of natural lacto on the veges themselves but the probiotic seems to jumpstart the ferment.

20210918_171422~2.jpg

Very nice! I got hooked on making fermented hot sauces last year after going overboard on planting hot peppers. It's fun to try different ingredients too, like prickly pear fruit, mango, pineapple, or honey fermented garlic. I've tested mine with a pH meter, they're typically in the 3.6 - 3.7 range. I think anything below 4.0 you're pretty safe. I usually add 1/2 capsule of probiotic for my lactobacillus source. Plenty of natural lacto on the veges themselves but the probiotic seems to jumpstart the ferment.

View attachment 222600
I really liked the earthy sweetness the beets added to mine…but I’m strange….my grandmother always grew beets n I love em!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back