PEAX Equipment

Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip Ammo

MNHunter

For factory ammo I am hearing really good things about this stuff. I'm reading that people are getting some nice groupings with it. I really want to try some but my local Cabelas, Fleet Farm, nor Gander Mtn has any in stock in 270, 3006 or 300WSM and I hate paying for shipping! Anyone shoot this? If so, do you like it?

Attachments

• s7_216610_imageset_01.jpg
    s7_216610_imageset_01.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4,426
That is what is being shot in all the OYOA rifles. I really like it. Probably the best factory ammo you can find. Hope to see a demonstration of the the bullet performance on an AZ elk here in the next week.

It shoots better than I can, but that might not be a high benchmark.

Try it, I think you will like it.

Thanks Fin. I would try it...if I can find it! .30-06 is backordered everywhere. Found 1 box of 300WSM at Cabelas in Owatonna that they are holding for me.

I wouldn't get too hung up on a specific load or bullet unless you've got a personal track record with it.
Truth be, all the premium factory ammo is REALLY high quality.

Accubonds, Sciroccos, Interbonds and XP3's will all do very similar things as the TB stuff. The Accubonds are the standard in that line of tipped, bonded bullets.

Winchester loads the Accubonds and XP3s, Nosler loads the Accubonds, Hornady loads the Interbonds, and Remington loads the Scirocco's.

Aside from Nosler's loads, the rest should be cheaper than the federal stuff anyways. Hornady also does some of their loads in the 'light magnum' set up where they're loaded hotter.

FWIW, I shoot the Winchester loaded Accubonds. I have all the stuff to reload, and a few boxes of the accubonds lying around, but still keep buying the factory stuff anyway. It shoots ridiculously well out of my gun.

Last edited:
I shoot them as well as the nosler partitions...
I'm far from - a guru of the hunting community so, I don't speak with any "authority" other than to say, in my boat after some research, I found my .06 groups really nice for factory loads. IMO, I need all the bonus I am able to afford. Cost is a chunk - though I have the same 20 rnd box from 3 years ago... going on my 4th year (and last year).
for sighting in / pre season check - I know where my cheap winchester 180gr. rounds hit... +1 shot of my hunt only rounds position in relation and I am good to go. I suppose I need to add, I do not sight in / check beyond 200yrds.

Last edited:
Before I started reloading this year that is what I shot before got great groups with it almost as good as handloads that i worked at all summer to get them just a touch better. Great penetration and decent expantion in my .308. I would def recomend to anyone this is great ammo.

I wouldn't get too hung up on a specific load or bullet unless you've got a personal track record with it.
Truth be, all the premium factory ammo is REALLY high quality.

Accubonds, Sciroccos, Interbonds and XP3's will all do very similar things as the TB stuff. The Accubonds are the standard in that line of tipped, bonded bullets.

Winchester loads the Accubonds and XP3s, Nosler loads the Accubonds, Hornady loads the Interbonds, and Remington loads the Scirocco's.

Aside from Nosler's loads, the rest should be cheaper than the federal stuff anyways. Hornady also does some of their loads in the 'light magnum' set up where they're loaded hotter.

FWIW, I shoot the Winchester loaded Accubonds. I have all the stuff to reload, and a few boxes of the accubonds lying around, but still keep buying the factory stuff anyway. It shoots ridiculously well out of my gun.

I've shot the Winchester with accubonds for years and still have a few boxes. My 30-06 loves em, my 300WSM tolerates them but my 270 doesnt like them. I started reloading this past year and am having a heck of a time finding a load for my 300WSM. Worse yet, my brass is too hard to chamber after 1 firing and I havent been able to solve that riddle. Therefore, I thought I'd try some other factory ammo. Since Federal is a (the) sponsor of OYOA, I figured it was appropriate to give them a look.

I have ussualy had good results with the fed premium.My new savage shot the accubonds great but shot the new hornady superformance sst better,this will be the first time in about 5 years I havnt used the federal premiums.

Did you try using bergers in you 300wsm also what twist rate is your barrel that will have an effect on what weight you should use to stabalize the bullet in flight. My 308 has a fast twist and doesnt like lighter bullets likes the heavier bullets better iam shooting 210gr bergers and it seems to like them just playing with teh COAL now to fine tune. Also the brass that is hard to chamber what brand?

I dont know what the twist rate is and havent tried bergers. The brass I have used include Winchester, Nosler and Norma. All 3 chamber hard once fired and full length resized....can't figure out why.

Shot federal trophy bonded for years in a 270. Took elk and deer. Never had a problem, just pricey. Now I reload accubonds in my 300 and love them. Have some scirocco's lying around I'm waiting to try too. Someone said earlier not to get hung up on a particular bullet. I agree, there are lots of good bullets out there. Find one that works for you.

I dont know what the twist rate is and havent tried bergers. The brass I have used include Winchester, Nosler and Norma. All 3 chamber hard once fired and full length resized....can't figure out why.

Hmm the only thing I can think of is maybe the die is off but never even heard of that happening. I have had an issue resizing nickel plated and them being hard to chamber but brass does just fine. Twist is easy to find just put a pc of tape on your cleaning rod like a flag with the brush and slide it down the barrel make a note with pc of tape where you start and another when the flag has gone all the way around one rotation measure the distance between the two marks that is you twist so say it is 10 inches your twist is 1:10.
Go to bergers website and it will give you recomendations for bullet weights to use.
Good luck if you decide to keep handloading for it.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back